• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nisswa Lake Aerator- Thin Ice Please use caution!

Aeration system to be installed on Nisswa Lake

An aeration system creating open water and thin ice will be placed in Nisswa Lake this winter. The system will be located on the area of the lake where Nisswa Marina was located. Dates of operation will be Nov. 21 to March 31. Please use caution around posted areas.

If you have any questions please stop in before you venture out on Nisswa Lake this winter.

Jason Erlandson

This is the first year I've heard of such a project on Nisswa. I'm not sure of the reasoning. As far as I know the lake seemed fairly healthy. Lots of crappies, panfish and pike. We'll keep an eye on things, see how it goes.

Jason Erlandson

I thought there has been a sign next to the highway for at least several years indicating use of an aerator on Nisswa Lake. It's a brown sign just north of the creek by where the people park and walk out in the winter.

I haven't been on Nisswa Lake in many years, how shallow is it that it needs an aeration system?

ccarlson

CC is right. The sign has been on 371 and by the hazelwood access for at least 3 years. I think it has something to do with boat house that was built on the point. As far as I know, that is where the aerator is located.

You guys may be right, I probably just overlooked it. There has always been thin ice around the channel areas because of the current. I guess it seems strange that a lake with some current flow and moderate depth would need an aeration system. I wasn't aware that there ever was a problem with freeze-out. It may have been there all along, I just noticed it posted in the newspaper over the weekend and thought I'd pass along the info.

Jason Erlandson