• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Rick

Minnesota Duck Poll 2005

Rick

How was your Harvest this year in Minnesota?

Mark Christianson

Thanks Rick.

My poll kinda sucked, eh? crazy.gif

I havent seen where this year was worse than any other. The start of the season was great.. then the cold air forgot to come after the locals left to push birds in. There are all kinds of birds flying now.

Its hard to compare harvest numbers when we were allowed 2 more birds/day last year. I dont think this season was terrible overall. When I didnt have success it was usually due to missing on shot opportunities, not lack of birds other than the mid season slump.

Esoxmn

I thought last season was bad but this year was worse. I know other people west of here did well but this area was bad. The rice crop was terrible so that might have been part of the problem, next year i think i will bow hunt,

tip-up king

The DNR really needs to divide the state into North/South zones and extend the season for the south zone so we can actually bag some birds without having to drive north all the time. It doesn't take rocket science to figure this out. tuk

ChuckN

That avatar of your's fits that post well BLB. lol

This year was a very good year when I look back. It seemed the extreme warm temps had it's toll on the migration, but then again, I had some of the best hunting of the season...for four straight days in mid October with days with no wind, good wind, 70 degrees, and nothing but sunshine...with limits every day on an annual duck camp trip. Hardly anyone hunting either, that's what shocked me also.

I had some great days and the next day was pathetic. Seemed more like a crap shoot year than anything.

Great memories this year and that's what really counted.

And, the big push... confused.gif it went right over MN for the most part. In 1 day it seemed.

BUT, I'm not done either. There are still some days left! grin.gif I can only hope to get out again.

bassman222

Despite the 4 duck limit we still had a better season than last year. Limits were achieved on most outings.

iamgmc

the drought from the dakota's are catching up with us in west central Mn.Mother nature has a way with checks and balances she in turn has been kind to are pheasant population.when the water returns so will the ducks,the 90's up till the last couple of years have been great,

Cootz

I've thought that the last three openers have been below average for myself. I hunt LOW opening weekend and then go else where for the rest of the season. In my opinion the early goose season combined with the early youth season have educated birds and pushed them south and made them more weary. I don't think that those seasons "kill" numbers affect hunting numbers for myself. I believe it's been 80 degrees, sunny and not a cloud in the sky for the past six years. Can't wait for a good snowstorm durning duck season...

eyepatrol

I'd have to say this was the worst season I've ever experienced. Hardly any birds around on the opener, not much to speak of after that either, and no major northern flight. On the days I wished I could have been out, the NW wind was just too much and then whammo...the lake had 2" of ice on it. Watched the skies plenty during those windy, cold days and really didn't see much. Two flocks of divers one day, then when we had the cold front blow through that froze the lake, I saw 2 flocks of mallards and that was it. Had about 200 geese stop for a week or two, but then they were gone.

From what I've experienced, each year gets worse when talking numbers. I still love waterfowling and will do it until I no longer can though. Patience may be the key....optimism too!

Sartell Angler

had a great season as always even though some days birds were tough to come by and empty skies became the norm. However, we still shot plenty of ducks and geese (LOTS of geese) and had an exceptionally good last couple weeks of the season as well as the goose hunting that followed right up until last sunday. Got my first band ( honker- waiting for info) and my brother shot 2 bands...a goose and a greenhead. Ended up hunting 6 days of the early goose season, 22 days of the waterfowl season, 2 days of the "middle" goose season, and 4 days of the late goose season. Now it is all about ice fishing, snowmobiling, and a couple last pheasant hunts. Will probably give predator hunting a go as well. Merry Xmas to all the duck hunters out there.

SA/wdw