• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Help with Missouri turkey hunting

strat-o-caster

I'm trying to get as much info gathered to make an informed decsion on Missouri turkey hunting. I'm thinking of trying somthing new. We usually go out to the Black-hills . Thanks if you don't want to put it here send to. Beccastrat@ aol.com

Strat,

What is it that you want to know? I do know there is not much for public land in the northeast part of the state. There's a couple big tracts, but I'm sure they take a beating. I hunted private land in my one trip there two years ago. That was via a buddy of mine, and that contact sold their land.

I can tell you the license is around $140 and purchased over the counter. You can shoot 2 birds with that license, but not on the same day. There are a lot of birds, but I understand access to private land can be difficult. So, it might be a tough trip to freelance.

I've heard that about part's of the state, I was looking more of the E-central, S-central part's of the state. Thank's for the reply it's a start... Strat

Help with turkeys in Missouri? So many birds you won't need any help!! grin.gif Kidding.

Know quite a few guys that do, though I have never. Just depends on what type of hunt you want to do. As you know, it's eastern birds, in typically rolling wooded/farmfield terrain until you get towards the Ozarks, and then it's primarily wooded with big hills.

No doubt there are a ton of birds there (Missouri kills every year, the total estimated population of MN!), but like Ray mentioned, it can be tough to get on private land there. The people I know that go, have friends or family hookups. Otherwise, there's too much competition. From what they say, turkey hunting in MO is like deer hunting is here.

A good option might be a later season hunt, as the pressure the first weekend or two is legendary. Getting on land by knocking on doors isn't impossible though, from what I hear. Farmers are typically more than willing to get rid of a few, but you might be sharing it with somebody else.

After hunting in a few other states for Easterns, I appreciate the MN "lottery" system a bit more. It really spreads out pressure evenly, ensuring that you don't bump into other hunters as often. I hate that.

If you're looking for where they go, shoot me an email and I'll tell you the closest towns and some more of their experiences.

Joel

Go to the Missouri Department of Conservation website. They have everything online it is a great state to hunt. You can download the maps of all the public stuff before you go. I have had a very good experience down there.

Yea, Ive been to the web site often. Just thought I'd mix it up a bit . Thanks for the info so far guy's I'll be e-mailing youi shortly,,,,, Strat

I am originally from Macon Missouri, and I can attest that the spring season is like a holiday. As a kid growing up there, it was the only hunting season that you could be late for school and the school wouldn't care. I am 35 years old and since I started hunting I have missed a couple of deer seasons, but have never missed a spring turkey season.

I argree that getting access down there has been getting hard to do. So much of the land is being bought up by hunting groups from Iowa and Illinois, plus the small groups from St. Louis and Kansas City.

I still have access to family members farms, but I mainly stay and hunt with an old high school buddy who has a large farm in Macon County. I make sure and bring him up for a fishing trip every year and he lets me come down and hunt anytime I want, for deer or turkeys.

If you are looking for land I would start now, because the closer you get to season, the harder it will be. If you are going to hunt in the Ozark region just remember, there are not that many birds, and they are spread out, and be in shape. Those are some big hills to have to scramble over to get close to your bird. Also one of the three weeks is always a bust, there is always one week, where the toms are henned up and will not even listen to you. The state made it tougher when they pushed the start date back a couple of weeks. Turkey hunting is the best, and you should try and get down to the turkey mecca, just make sure you do your homework and it will be a good time.