• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Duck Gun

My 16 year old son has gotten the duck hunting fever and has been borrowing a friends 12 gauge. He is now looking to buy his own, he is looking at a Remington 870 express and a Mossberg in 12 gauge. Any thoughts on what would be the best/good starter shotgun for him.

Thanks

Graybuck

There's a reason that the Remington 870 is the most popular shotgun made. Reliable, long-lasting and won't break the bank. A gunsmith told me, "you can't break 'em." Not that I'd try. I think you'll find many people who will agree that it's a great gun. I own one and use it to shoot ducks, geese, pheasants and snow geese in the spring. Even a couple of grouse. My brother has a 20 gauge mossberg he used when he was young. He didn't have many problems with it, but it just didn't seem to made as sturdy as the 870. That's my opinion. There will probably be others...

The Remington 870 has been around for over 50 years. And to my knowledge, Remington has not changed the design. IMO the best pump shotgun on the market.

Get ready, your going to get 1.2 billion opinions on this question grin.gif

Hands down, the 870 is the best starter gun out there! I've had mine for about 12 years and I think it works better now then when I first bought it!

870 is a very good gun. But Mossberg is a really good gun too. I think a mossberg 500 is a little cheaper. my 2 cents

my 870 is the only gun I own and is the only one I would want to...got it when I was 13 (8 years ago) and it has yet to fail me.

My bro bought the Mossberg and something goes wrong with it every year...cheaply made!

get the 870 and never worry about a gun again.

I have three 870's in 28, 16 and 12 ga. 3&1/2 in. I've owned the 16 for 44 years. My sons have five 870's of different configurations. We've never had a problem with any of them. If I had to bet my life on a shotgun working, it would be a Winchester Model 12 or a Remington 870.

Sorry guys, looks like I'm going to be odd man out here.

Remington .870

Enough Said!!! grin.gif

My .870 is a Wingmaster 12 gauge and I love that gun. I saved up paper route money when I was in middle school to buy it. At the time, it was the most expensive thing I owned. The gun is about 12-13 years old now and looks and performs about as good as the day I bought it. My dad shoots an .870 as well for just as long a time as I have. My younger brother didn't go the .870 route, I think he bought a cheaper Winchester of some sort and has had some problems with his gun. He would, and still does, borrow my dad's gun whenever dad isn't heading out. I'm not sure if there is a better pump gun out there.

but guys, you're missing out. when you buy a brand new mossberg, it comes with the rattle built right into the pump. you can't beat quality like that. you guys and your quiet, non-rattling 870's, even after decades of use. you don't know what you're missing wink.gif

yep, good old mossberg (rattle), thats (rattle rattle) the kind of gun a person (rattle rattle rattle) wants to buy.

oh, by the way, 2 870's. wouldn't trade em for anything. except a gun with a marraca attached to it. grin.gif

I have had my 870 for over 20 years. I think I may have to go buy another one after reading this post.

I got my first 870 in 1965. I got it from my Mother who got it used from the neighbor. My son uses it now. The only drawback with the first one is its chambered for 2 3/4". My second 870 is an Express in 3". Niether has ever failed me

Does anyone have the 3 1/2" Express? Is it the same frame as the 3"? I thought it may be an option for geese without lugging a heavy framed gun.

I've posted this before and I'll probably post it every time this question is raised. One of my 870's (I have three of them) is my slug gun now with synthetic stocks added to it and a smooth bore slug barrel. The gun was my dad's and he bought it USED in 1952!!!!! It still works like its brand new, best gun ever made I think, I can't even imagine it not working.

You'll never regret buying an 870!

My dad gave me an 870. Built the first year 1950. It is still the only big caliber gun I own. I use it for deer, ducks, pheasants, and grouse. I love this gun and will own it til I'm gone.

I'll throw in a vote for the 870, never owned one in my 5 years of hunting, since I was 11, but I've shot one plenty of times, also hunted with people who own them, those guns are indestructable, I would have got one for my duck gun, but when a buddies dad waved a Nova in front of my face and said 125 bucks, sold was the next word out of my mouth. Kind of regretting the decision now though, I shoot ok with it, but the way the stock rattles drives me crazy, also you can feel it move when you shoulder the gun, makes it feel like a cheaply made gun to me. For an all around gun I would say an 870 Express 3 1/2 would be the gun to put your money into, it will be more it begin with, but it won't fail and it is a joy to shoot.

• 2 weeks later...

I was leaning toward purchasing a rem 870. But I see in Cabelas add this week super x2 semi-autos on sale for 599.00 (3.5") 529.00 (3"). Synthetic with 3 choke tubes. Any feedback on this gun would be great.

These prices are after the $100 rebate.

• 2 weeks later...

If I was him I would start out with a Benelli nova 3 1/2". That was my third duck gun I have ever used and I dont think I will go back to anything. Its a great gun for its price.

I agree Waltinader. I have a Nova as well. That was my 2nd waterfowl gun. Now I use a Franchi. But my Nova has never failed me. Either has my Franchi for that fact. But you can't beat the price of the Nova. The cleaning aspect is the greatest feature. Very, very easy!!! If I have any input, a Benelli Nova or a Remington 870 you wont be disappointed either way. Both great!

Hunting_24_7- which Franchi do you have? I have a 912, 3.5" from 2004 and I have a fair amount of trouble with it. I get some sort of mechanical jam and usually have to remove the trigger assembly to correct it. It cost me several missed shots at ducks and geese this year and I ended up switching to an SBE which hasn't failed at all.

Also I would add my 2cents for the Mossberg 835 3.5", I bought one about 10years ago for a cheap pump to use in dirty, rough field hunting and I never had a complaint with it. It sure was cheap and I never had to baby it. Nothing wrong with 870's either.

Vaneeck, - I have the 912 as well. Knock-on-wood, I haven't had any problems with mine the last 2 years that has cost me birds. I got jammed up ONE of the first times I used it, but that was it. Upon the reload, it spit out 2 shells out of the loading port. I am uncertain what happened. I was able to push the front shell back into mag loading port. Other than that I can say I am very happy with it. Maybe I got a good one out of the bunch.

My hunting partner was having some problems with his 912 too. He was jamming up a lot. He had Gander and Scheels comb through his gun mechanically and they couldn't find anything. He finally called Benelli (Franchi) and talked to customer service and they mentioned to him to maybe stick to shells that have longer brass. He of course was using shorter brass shells, some of the time. He didn’t care what type of shell shot he used, whatever was on sale. It was just the pick of the liter, and sometimes he would jam up and some times it would work like a champ. Oddly enough, this has corrected it and he didn't have any problems this year. I can follow up on the specifics if you would like, as I am unsure what your specific problem was.

Quote:

My 16 year old son has gotten the duck hunting fever and has been borrowing a friends 12 gauge. He is now looking to buy his own, he is looking at a Remington 870 express and a Mossberg in 12 gauge. Any thoughts on what would be the best/good starter shotgun for him.

Thanks

Graybuck

Can only echo the sentiments of other 870 owners. I own 2 870 12 gauges an 870 20 gauge and an 870 .410. Bought the first one when I was in college, a 12 gauge 2 3/4" full choker and used it on a lot of geese and ducks during my tenure in NC ND back in the days when lead was still allowed. We hunted primarily over field dekes, in the stubble, dirt, mud and grime and it never failed me. Bought the 20 Wingmaster for ducks, grouse, doves and Huns and loved it. Got the .410 Wingmaster a few years ago after moving back to MN for squirrel hunting. Pretty little gun! And, after deciding there were enough ducks and geese in SC MN to make it worth my while, I got an Express Super Magnum. For the money, tremendous value. Got it just full of water, mud and other assorted crap this fall hunting in the rain and still just as easy to clean and get it ready for next time as the first one I bought. Best of all, since I don't have a fortune to spend, I don't have a fortune stuck in guns.

well it's like 100 to 1. me being the one. I love the Mossberg 835. I find the 870 a little to small for the way i shoot and end up hitting my thumb on my nose every round. I have had both and prefer the mossberg. I still have my 500 combo (slug barrel included) that i bought in 1986 for 189! I have had lots of great times holding a mossberg, not going to change now!

• 4 weeks later...

If you haven't bought a gun yet, I would agree with just about everyone, the 870 is the best shotgun made. I think we have three of four in the safe, plus a slug barrell for the swamp fawn we chase. My only recommendation is you get the 3.5", the super express. It will pay off when you take some longer shots at cripples, or you use bigger loads for geese. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• 3 weeks later...

i would suggest an 870 super mag it is a very affordable at about 250 dollars and, it shoots everything from light trap loads to heavy magnums. i have one i love it. hope you find what your looking for.

I have an 870 which needs a replacement barrel. Suggestion for length?(mostly be a waterfowl gun).

i have a 26 inch on mine it works awsome, but i also do alot of jump shoting because of lack of people pushing the birds. if your going to sit over decoys all the time i would go with a 28 or a 30. there is some disadvanteges to a long barrel in the decoys if they come scootin in close you might have a hard time hitting them. now if they come skatin the edge of the decoys you'll probably drop them. its all what your comfortable with. hope ive been some help.

the 28" has worked great for me...wouldn't trade my gun for anything (9 yr. old 870 Mag)