• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

remington managed recoil

leechlake

I have a youth getting ready to deer hunt. From what I see the managed recoil .308 loads should have less recoil than even a standard .243. I'd rather get him a .308 than the 243, anyone shot any of the managed recoil loads, is the managed recoil what they say? I have a 308 myself and can buy a box but wanted to check with some fm'ers.

i bought the federal low recoil 308 for my kids and they work well. me and my dad both shot a deer with them and the deer cant tell the difference. they group well at 100 yards and should be alright at 200 if you hold at the top of the back... if i remember right when sighted at 100 yards they are 10 inches low at 200 yrds the recoil is barely noticable. you may want to check out the 270 remington low recoil shells. if i am not mistaken they have about the same recoil as a 243. the 243 and 308 are very similar in recoil anyway they are the same cartridge only different caliber so the only difference is the smaller grain bullet basically.

I don't want to hijack the post, but I had two 12 years olds hunting this year for the first time. My daughter is actually a little bit bigger than my son and I was hard pressed to decide on what I should be looking for in a rifle caliber. After "shooting the breeze" with many folks at the gun cabinets at multiple retailers I finally thought I had it figured out.

They both ended up with 7mm-08's. Purchased the youth Remington Model 700 figuring at least for my son he will probably only shoot this for 3-4 years tops before he wants to move to a full-size, not sure that my daughter won't shoot it for a bit longer. (by the way I dislike the internal magazine on this rifle as I swear everytime you load and unload you scrape and scratch the bullet tips which can't help flight performance---all of the scraped ones are in a box for the range now)

Let me tell you, the first day on the range was a dance as they were so afraid of getting "bit" by the recoil that it took all of dad's patience just to work them through a box of shells and get them fairly close to zero'd. I can tell you that both of them got deer on opening weekend (daughter dropped hers from my stand at 370 yards!) and both of them have commented that they didn't even notice the "kick" which is exactly what I told them would happen.

I did think seriously about a .243 (especially for my daughter)and the reduced recoil loads but just decided to go with the youth rifle for better fit and then pick from the options in the rifle and the 7mm-08 was highly recommended. I didn't go easily as my father-in-law has shot a .308 for years and I thought it underperformed but that was more user performance than caliber.

I guess to get this down to a single statement, if you can survive the range and get them sighted in, when shooting at a live animal they won't notice the kick and why give up the 10 inches of performance at 200 yards unless all of their shooting would be up close and personal.

Ive gotta tell you my 2 cents...I have 14 yr old daughter thats been hunting 2 years now. I found a BLR .257 roberts for her and yes it was a chore at first just to get her to pull the trigger but the recoil isn't even a issue now and she has 2 deer under her belt and she loves the hunt! smirk.gif