• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rice Lake State Park-off 14W by Claremont/Owatonna

Does anyone know anything about Rice Lake St. Park near Owatonna? I was at work and driving to our company's office in Owatonna and noticed the sign for it. I was wondering what type of fish are in, or for that matter whether there even are fish in there? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

I camped there a couple of summers ago and destroyed by the minnesota state pest, nothing we could do to stay away from them. Lake was shallow 5' at most was all I could find, all could catch were bullheads. I would consider camping there again early our late to avoid the bugs but I won't be doing any fishing.

i have always wondered about that my self. i have spent considerable time there duck hunting and always wondered if i should bring a pole along too. One would think there would maybe be some pannies and a bass or two and the ever elusive carp. but what do i know. Does anyone out there know? ike

I work off and on at the park with a natural resource crew. The lake in the state park is very shallow (up to 5-6 feet) and contains rather few fish, from what the park staff says just rough fish and not worth the time. It is mainly used in the fall for waterfowl hunters. A buddy of mine hunts geese and ducks there and did quite well there this year. Also, on occasion they have a fall deer hunt out there, mainly gun hunts but archery has beeen suggested.

It is a very nice clean state park and my crew has removed most of the buckthorn from the north side of the park. It would be a nice place to camp on weekends.