• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am considering an underwater camera for Ice fishing Vermilion this winter (West End). Is the water clarity suitable for decent viewing? In how deep of water could you expect to see anything?

What do you mean by "see anything'? If you really mean anything, Just about the only time you see anything is when the camera is very near the bottom. Above the bottom, unless the weeds are very tall or a fish swims by, you will see nothing.

Most, if not all underwater cameras have a very wide angle lens. Anything more than around 5 feet from the camera gets pretty small and hard to see even in very clear water. Vermilion's water is clear enough for good visibility.

While ice fishing, you will easily see anything that swims near your bait. But you need to have the camera near the bottom if you want to see anything on the monitor.

I use one in the summer on the west end and it works well. The part about the wide angle is true. And if you are not on the bottom there is nothing to see unless a fish happens by, so you won't see anything. And in the summer, when the light is on it is like driving into a snow storm.

What I was trying to ask is if the camera will have enough ambient light in 40'-50' of water. Or can you just utilize the lights on the camera for night and/or in really deep water viewing?

You will probably need the lights for and depth of water, especially if it is cloudy out or low light conditions.

I do not own a camera, but have used a couple with friends. At 40 0r 50 feet of water you will need lights and your field of view will be around 2 or 3 feet max!

Cliff

I have a camera but have currently loaned it out. One tip I saw on a fishing show was that for ice fishing, it sometimes helps to change the orientation of the camera to shoot straight down instead of out to the side. That way, you can raise/lower the camera to an optimal depth to monitor your bait.