• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Truck tires.

TRITC

Question

Hey guys,

I just picked up an '04 Silverado 4x4 and it has Goodyear Wrangler ST tires on it; size is P245/75R16 and they have about 20,000 miles on them. I am interested in getting some beefier tires on and was wondering if any of you know of a place that will buy your used tires or if any of you are interested in them. They are great road tires and are VERY quiet on the highway.

Thanks for any advise.

TRITC

13 answers to this question

I just priced a new set of those they wanted $950 installed. Just to help give you an idea on pricing at 265/75R/16's

I ended up going with firestone transformers 265/75/16 for $625. Seem alright but a little grabby on the cornering.

Hey Rackenstuff, I see Hinsdale, my grandparents owned prop right accross from little hinsdale so we went up there all the time. About 25 years age and more when it wasn't so developed. I really miss going there. Now have place on Lake Alexander by Brainard. Cant beat Vermillion.

I sure do , loved going to his resort and looking at the fish on the wall. My dad and me used to try and tail him on the lake to find his good spots. funny guy, loved listening to his stories. we were to the north of him about a mile right across from little hinsdale actually used to swim across to the island.Had the cabin in the small bay and the two points about a mile of shoreline in all, half way into the next big bay towards Retreat Lodge. He sold it and built a house on the channel there. Great memories.

Oh yea, just a thought, looking back didn't he remind you of the type of guy who could be running from or in the mob.maybe thats my youthful romantisism of a guy I thought was so cool.

Hey -

I bought the Firestone Destination A/T's and LOVE 'em. Traction of "A", 460 on the treadlife and quieter than the stock tires on my truck !!

Highly recommend them. Got the best deal at the GM dealership, no tire disposal fee either...

Let me know...

check out the new tires wrangler just put out they are wrangler silent armors. they are an awsome tire. just had some recently put on my truck and they are very quiet and a nice ride. my friends parents own a tire shop and those were the tires they recamended to me. and i was gonna put on some all terrains ha not anymore these have awsome lugs as far as traction goes. sure wouldnt hurt to take a look!

You might want to take a look at Cooper Discoverer S/T's for your truck. I put them on my 1/2 ton GMC and like them quite a bit. They are fairly blocky, but not overkill like a mud terrain might be. I'd classify them between a mud terrain and an all terrain. Great in snow, decent on ice, awesome in mud. Check out their tread pattern at http://www.tiresavings.com/bizrate.php?action=single&sku=7697452

I would also consider the BFG AT for a good tire (everybody seems to use them), but have never tried them.

gill man

I did a lot of searching before I ended up with the BFG A/T's. They are okay but I don't think they are as great as what everyone claims. I liked the old Goodyear Wrangler A/T's better but they have not been around for awhile. If you do get the BFG's they will throw rocks onto whatever you are towing.

I will throw in a vote for the BFG All-Terrains as well. I've been using them for the last 7 years now and you will have a hard time selling me a different tire. The couple sets I've had were very dependable with 1 puncture flat (nail) in over 100,000 miles of driving.

The traction is awesome in the snow and on the ice, in the mud, and on a steep gravel boatramp.

I think they look pretty cool as well. wink.gif

The one thing to remember, I wouldn't classify the BFG All-Terrains or any A/T tire as a highway tire. Thats just not what they were designed to do. I do think they have a good blend of characteristics that suits my use as a multi-purpose (on & off highway tire).

If I never ventured off the highway, I would probably be running 20" rims with low profile high performance tires on my truck. By the same token, if my truck never saw a paved rode in its life, I'd probably have a 6" lift with 35" Super Swampers on it.

Happy shopping!!

Guess I'll chime in too. Having had a few Chevy trucks, I'd recommend a 265 tire for your Silverado. I've had 285s before, but they put a dent in your mileage and rub the inside of your wheel well if you don't add any lift. I've had great luck with Bridgestone Duelers A/T in a 265/75/16 setup. They typically run $110-$125/tire, and now they have a Dueler A/T Revo that runs a little bit more ($150/tire?), but has the new tread design. They're smooth, quiet, and good in the snow. Just put some on our Yukon last Feb. and my son's Explorer last weekend.

On a side note, I will never buy Goodyear Wranglers for my trucks again. I've had 2 sets that have worn terribly and had terrible performance. That's just MY experience with them though.

Good luck.