• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Patrick Ruesse

redlake

Lucia wins in Bush League

Channel 9's three-day report on drinking by underage Gophers hockey players was silly enough to be worth a few laughs. The reaction of Gophers coach Don Lucia was much worse -- bush league to the maximum.

Lucia's pouting reached a peak after Saturday's game, when he responded to a question from Channel 9 reporter Trish Van Pilsum by saying he thought his underage drinkers were "violated" by the report.

This came after a week in which Lucia refused to allow interviews with players (not a hardship for most of us in the Twin Cities media), or with John Hill. He's the head coach who left Alaska Anchorage -- preferring to be an assistant with the Gophers -- after last season. Hill didn't even answer a few questions for the Anchorage media that had covered him in his time with the Seawolves.

Also: Kevin Kurtt, the sports information assistant for hockey, denied that he called Minnesota Duluth and asked that credentials not be issued for Channel 9 for the Gophers series Nov. 4-5. Kurtt responded in an e-mail that he simply gave UMD a heads-up that a station vehicle might be following the Gophers' bus to Duluth.

I think Uncle Donnie needs to let this one go. So his young players made a mistake. Big deal. The big mistake in my opinion is how Channel 9 hyped this up to be "breaking the law".

I really think Channel 9 looked bad in the eyes of the public, not the gopher hockey team or the University of Minnesota.

I wish Lucia would have shown more resolve and bit his tongue when asked about the situation. He doesn't come off as his usual classy self when he stoops to Channel 9's level.

I would like to see the gophers win two out in Denver so they might be worthy of their 10th in the nation ranking. They aren't even the best team in Minnesota. Last I checked Bemidji State was 7-1 and getting no respect whatsoever.

It is tough to win out in Magness Arena. That is a tough place to play. It should be interesting to see how the gophers respond.

Quote:

Last I checked Bemidji State was 7-1 and getting no respect whatsoever.

They LOST to Air Force! and play in the weekest Division one division in all of college hockey! I don't dislike or route against BSU, but be realistic. If BSU played in the WCHA, CCHA or Hockey East do you really believe they would be 7-1?? Be honest now. As far as playing Denver at Nagness, it will be tough beating the defending two time champs...

Kind of a neat matchup, the last four National Champions have come from these two teams! I bet they didn't lose to Air Force any of those championship years? What do you think?

welcome back Red, good to see your AOL Dial Up Internet service account REINSTATED.... blush.gif

I don't know about you guys when I think of Minnesota hockey the first thing that comes to my mind is the Beeeeev's..... grin.gif

Keep Posting Red.....

Quote:

Keep Posting Red.....

Yeah, I need the humor in my life as well..... keep up the good work! grin.gif

Gentlemen! I have to make this fast, my AOL dial up time is not unlimited.....

Lucia is a great coach. No dispute here. But, he acted like a little baby trying to ban Channel 9 from press conferences? Get real! I just think Lucia is better than that. Maybe he isn't. Maybe the U has turned him into a snivling baby.......

Friday night:

Denver 5

Gophies 2

Saturday Night:

Denver - 4

Golfers - 3

Cake Eaters! All of you.

Easy on the Beav's here fella's...Are we forgetting Last years tournament where the Beav's take Denver into O.T and come a ****hair away from from a huge upset. Say what you will, but no other team tested The champs the way the beav's did grin.gif

Finally! Someone who isn't wearing maroon tinted shades and a goldie gopher turtleneck. Maybe you can teach Buzzsaw and the boys something. I have been trying but it just isn't sinking in.

Gotta run. Not much time on the account left.

I'll be back Dec. 1st when I get my check.......Cake eaters.

Go Denver.

As much as I hate to admit it, Red is correct! frown.gif This is going to be a huge test for the Gophers. I feel that the Gophers are over-rated at this point as well. As much as I want to see them #1 in the end, you have to look at the facts.

The only team they have played that is ranked at all is Alaska-Fairbanks. The Gophers lost and tied against them and they are only ranked #14. They than lost 1 game to St. Cloud (un-ranked) then lost and tied at UMD (un-ranked). The only two teams they have swept are horrible; Anchorage and Mankato.

I don’t want to be like a No. Dak fan and walk around with blinders on. So, the bottom line is: Our beloved Gophers are over-ranked. I hope they can sweep Denver to earn that #10 spot they currently hold. Denver is ranked #11 so the Gophers should have to sweep or split in order to keep that ranking. Sorry guys. I am nothing if not a realist!

CSTPeter, I was routing for BSU against DU last spring , it could have went either way! My point is that if they played a complete WCHA schedule there is no way on gods green earth that their record would be as good as it is playing in the conference they play in. I'd love to take Mich tech or AA out and put in BSU.

What Red meant to say was that he had to go because his axe was getting dull and it needed sharpening. grin.gif

P.S. Since we all remember last year so well... how did Denver start out?? Slow is the answer... How did they finish?? you know that answer to! My point, It's not how you start but how you finish.

Have the Gophers started out well? NO, anybody could tell you that... nobody is denying that!! Nobody has blinders on, when somebody makes a statement that bears a response like you made it would make more sense instead of throwing out some wierd statement... but then again thats why I take your posts RED with a grain of salt. I would agree with you to if I thought anybody had the homer blinders on.

Look out for Ferris State, I hear they're tough! As well as the rest of your games against: Wayne State, Air Force, Niagara, Lake Superior, Alabama Huntsville, Clarkson, Robert Morris & Western Michigan!

OH WAIT, whew... you atleast get to play North Dakota on 12/16-17.

Quote:

I don't dislike or route against BSU, but be realistic. If BSU played in the WCHA, CCHA or Hockey East do you really believe they would be 7-1?? Be honest now. As far as playing Denver at Nagness, it will be tough beating the defending two time champs...

Buzzsaw- BSU are 4-0 vs WCHA so far, Gophers tied and lost to UMD and BSU swept UMD. So I cant say anything more about it, but if they played everyone else in the WCHA, probably a different story. You say they lost to Air Force like it was a big deal.. well our Gophers lost to UMD and thats similiar to BSU loss.

I am hoping for a gopher sweep this weekend and BSU to pull one or two away from Ferris State. smile.gif

Quote:

Denver 5 gophies 2

No NO NO RED!

Let's see how your teams did tonight. grin.gif

BSU 1 Ferris State 6....

North Dakota 2 Saint Cloud st. 3

That's 0 for 3 Red.

Quote:

I'll be back Dec. 1st when I get my check.......Cake eaters.

Come on down to 42nd ave north in Mpls Red, I'll show you cake eater.... shocked.gif

Quote:

I feel that the Gophers are over-rated at this point as well.

That's insane, when you have 2 conference losses both by 1 goal in 9 conference games while playing in the best conference in the nation 10th in the nation is to low and the Gophers will finish much higher, all this despite losing your 2 leading scorers from last year and having less then stellar goaltending. How can you be over rated at 10th when you have not lost a game all year by more then 1 goal....

I would like to see BSU play without their star "goalies" for an extended time. I think you would still see a lot of 50 shot games like Denver put on them but instead of 3 or 4 goals against it would be 5 or 7. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Quote:

Denver is ranked #11 so the Gophers should have to sweep or split in order to keep that ranking.

Of course not the Gophers are on the ROAD, Denver is favored in both games, the voters follow hockey so they know this.

Quote:

P.S. Since we all remember last year so well... how did Denver start out?? Slow is the answer... How did they finish?? you know that answer to! My point, It's not how you start but how you finish.

That's right Buzzy, just how we won the second of our back to back NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Aw Pier, It's nice to read the words of a well versed educated college hockey follower, keep up the good work! As far as I can see Minnesota played a good game and got one point tonight, it should have been two but wasn't so oh well. BSU had a chance to see how they would do against another conferences average team in Ferris state and they layed an egg!! 6-1 is a tough pill to swallow and will drop them in the new polls so far in the polls... it's to bad, I wish them well. As far as Reds NoDak team... what happened tonight against SCSU??? A Loss! Maybe SCSU isn't that bad after all????

It's early in the season guys and I honestly don't ever think about judging teams until the end of January. We can go back and forth for the banter as it gives us something to do in our downtime. Tonight Minnesota was pretty good, BSU horrible, Nodak bad... I didn't see the second two games so I assume a loss to those two teams must be bad.... smirk.gif

Said well, Buzz. I am not the least bit concerned by the Gophs place right now. It is how they come on in Jan. and Feb. when I really start following their progress. They are very young, for the most part. I think they will get better as the season rolls along. Last year, a lot of prople thought they would be the bomb. I recall posting that my feelings were they were overrated last year, and played above thier heads a few weeks or so,and everyone thought they were going to the FF. Did not happen. Having said that, I DO think this team will show better during the nitty gritty part of the schedule, and maybe surprise a team or two down the road. Their young guys are only going to get better. Stay tuned....

Nice win out of us tonight, up to 2nd place in the conference and we should move up in the National polls also.

It's early but it looks like a 3 or 4 team race again with wisc and Col the best teams right now followed by the Gophers and maybe North Dakota it's just to early to really know for sure.

Nice win out of Beeev's tonight after being out shot 34-12 after 2 periods the Beeev's scored 2 in third for a 1 goal victory.

well well well... Can't wait to hear what RED has to say about these weekends games, I'm guessing a little crow pie is on the menu up nort eh?

My assessment of the Gophers this weekend.. they played well enough to get all four points, but Denver also played well enough to get more points. I think three points was about what they deserved for the weekend and am always happy taking two of three at Magness against the 2 time defending champions. How 'bout them Sioux getting totally outplayed the last two periods last night against SCSU and salvaging two points in a game they had absolutely no business winning... maybe we all underestimated SCSU? Credit goes out to BSU also for re-bounding and beating Ferris Bueller state!

RED, what are your predictions for next week? I'm going to bet against whatever you say. tongue.gifActually your picks were fine, not many teams go into Magness and do that well.

Quote:

How 'bout them Sioux getting totally outplayed the last two periods last night against SCSU and salvaging two points

"Concerns must be rising among the Sioux faithful as a lead disappears late in a Friday loss, and Jordan Parise heroics are needed to prevent another late rally by St. Cloud State on Saturday"

Looks like we are up to 6th or 8th depending on which poll you go by.

Awww, It is all so touchy feely between Peir and Buzzsaw. You guys probably both have wives with fake tits as you gaze into each others eyes talking about great gopher hockey drinking wine and flying on someone elses private jet.

Yes, the gophers looked great this weekend. They should have come away with four points. I was impressed. I hope they peak in December so they can nose dive in January, again.

BSU played horrible both nights and were lucky to get 2 points. They play up to their competition for some reason this year and that is not a mark of a good playoff team. Like we said, things could be different in February.

The Sioux dressed 11 freshmen on Saturday night. St. Cloud isn't as bad as everyone says - The gophers didn't do so hot either. The Sioux are every bit as young as the buck-tooth rodents and I think they have more up-side. The Sioux defense is going to get better and better. I guess we will find out in a couple weeks, Eh?

I also have to say I enjoyed watching the gopher football team get utterly trounced by an inferior team. Boy, Glenn Mason is a pompus man who has been .500 in the big ten for the past 3 years. I just love to watch maroon football when you have a little wager on the Hawkeyes. Money in the bank.

Vikings cover the spread tonight.

Vikings 27

Packers 24

Enjoy the season.

Quote:

Awww, It is all so touchy feely between
Peir
and Buzzsaw. You guys probably both have wives with fake tits as you gaze into each others eyes talking about great gopher hockey drinking wine and flying on someone elses private jet.

Reddddd, why all the spiteful remarks? and is that how Pierbridge spells his name? Whats wrong with wine and flying in private jets? You would probably have a blast hanging around us.. I like my beer cold, my lady sassy and of course it's a bonus if da Gophs win.

Redddd, lets get one thing str8, I don't have anything against BSU... I work hard to make a good living and I don't care for the Sioux as they are an arch rival of my Gophers... oh and it seems like every Sioux fan I've ever known has whinned that Minneapolis is such a big city and it's not fair and sooo boo hoo hoo hard to compete with the big city teams.... How can I answer that?? I mean talk about a small state/city mentality!! If you grew up in the cities watching the Gophers you too would probably route for them. Besides, Minnesota pretty much only recruits from in state!! until recently it was ONLY in state kids!! Not a bunch of older hack Canadien thugs!

P.S. Glad you could finally respond regarding your predictions.... oh wait, you didn't mention your predictions about a Denver sweep... hmmm tongue.gif

Buzzsaw,

I think you and Pierre have handled my remarks very well. I really am not the jerk I come off as. (I hope) You guys seem like great fans and I wish you could cheer for a good team like the Sioux. I think we might get along well drinking a beer and watching hockey anyway.

I hope I didn't offend you guys or anyone on this forum in any way, I am just having fun. I am not even Native American. But, I work in Red Lake and I have a soft spot for the wonderful people that live up on this reservation.

I can't wait for the Gophers and Sioux on December 9th and 10th. Frank Mazzocco and Doug Woog will be moaning and groaning with the homer play by play and I won't be listening to them because......

I will be there.

Thanks Red! Now that were all cool we can toss around the shots playfully right? I see the new USCHO polls came out today and had the Sioux (8) and Gophers (7) neck and neck in the polls.... and Inside college hockey has Minnesota 6th and ND 8th.... of course that all means jack squat this early in the season. I wish I was going up to Fargo for that matchup on the 9th/10th of December. I'll have to get tickets for the game at Marriuci in January.

Do you fish much up there? I'm hoping to hit Red Lake this upcoming spring and also do a Vermillion trip... of course I'll bring cake. grin.gif

Quote:

Awww, It is all so touchy feely between Peir and Buzzsaw. You guys probably both have wives with fake tits as you gaze into each others eyes talking about great gopher hockey drinking wine and flying on someone elses private jet.

That's Funny....

Quote:

I also have to say I enjoyed watching the gopher football team get utterly trounced by an inferior team.

That was a Gimmi Red, my college lock of the year... grin.gif

Quote:

Vikings cover the spread tonight.

Tonight is an equal lock with Pack covering easily..Pack 41 -Purple 9......Sorry Buzzy... shocked.gif

Quote:

BSU played horrible both nights and were lucky to get 2 points.

Red- how do we get 2 points for a win against Ferris State? They're not even CHA. Unless it has to do something with polls/rankings.. well like I said I hope BSU takes one or two away from Ferris State and took one away.. and Gophers were lucky enough to get one win and a tie for 3 points in WCHA. Sioux... I hope they can do better.

I am hoping for one these 3 teams to win the NCAA Champ this year.

Quote:

Tonight is an equal lock with Pack covering easily..Pack 41 -Purple 9......Sorry Buzzy

oh oh Pier... I'm not taking your advice when I go to Vegas. grin.gif How 'bout the turn around with the purple?!

Quack, you got me, I know it was out of conference... just thinking in terms of points for league wins as "most" teams are playing league games right now. You sound happy to have split with Ferris State... you do know that splitting with them made BSU drop in the rankings right? And I'm sorry if you thought the Gophers got lucky against Denver.. you are the only one because we could have easily gotten four points on the road.

Quote:

oh oh Pier... I'm not taking your advice when I go to Vegas.
grin.gif
How 'bout the turn around with the purple?!

Buzzy, I am a bookies worst nightmare although tonight hurt big time the Crestliner fund is still looking good.. grin.gif.

The record has turned around but I am not impressed at all, 1 offensive touchdown in three games and only because the Pack had 2 pass interference penaltys inside the 10 yard line.

Buzz- Well in fact, I dont care about the rankings.. anyone can beat anyone. It might hurt BSU in the NCAA tournament but hey like I said anyone can beat anyone.

I also love the gophers but they played like S... in the 1st period (sat) and didnt look good to me. A win is a win, move on and focus on the week of practice. This season is going to be interesting in the conference, its gonna be tight. smile.gif

Quote:

I dont care about the rankings.. anyone can beat anyone. It might hurt BSU in the NCAA tournament

if they win the CHA tourney