• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pheasant Hunting outside of West Metro

NorthernLite

Hey guys, I live in Eden Prairie and I was wondering if you guys knew of any good rooster spots within an hour of Eden Prairie. I would much appreaciate any advise or info, thanks.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Either get out and ask permission on private land or look for wma's. Some are better than others given differant conditions. If you head exactly 1 hour west or SW you will be in fairly decent pheasant territory compared to the rest of the MN pheasant range.

If it's nice out above 40F then look for them loafing in short grass during the day. The colder and windier it gets the more they will head to heavy cover.

If you can find food (corn/beans/weeds-w-seeds), water and several types of cover from sparse to heavy near each other you usually will be in good shape. Best bet is private if you can get permission.

I would suggest door knocking. I was lucky and got a yes last weekend and got my first limit. I went out a little west of Litchfield this morning and hunted two WMA's and the dog got up two hens. They were holding tight on the edges. You have to figure that the public land has been hunted extremely hard with all the nice weather we had this fall.