• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Saugers at night ??

croixeyes

Ok I posed this question on another forum maybe it was to difficult? Has anyone ever caught saugers at night?Are their eyes different from walleye?Ive never caught any after dark. Ive caught both species in pretty shallow water during the day so I dont know if its a light issue.

Never caught a soggy at night but many in turbid water during the day. Interesting, maybe they are lacking the rods that the walleyes have in the tapis lucideim. I haven't heard of any studies on it. Anyone else want to toss out a theory?

Tunrevir~

I actually spent a fair amount of after dark time trying to figure out how to catch both Eyes and Saug Dog's on the Croix this fall. I tried before, during, and after the high water period that we had. I finally figured it out during my last 3 outings. It takes 4 things to catch fish in the dark on the river. 1. An Anchor 2. A flashlight 3. Current 4. Some Glow jigs and fathead minnows Once I got on some fish it was fun. If I didn't glow up the jig - no fish. It was a little like ice fishing on Lake of the Woods in the turbid water. I was able to catch both Saug's and Eye's by doing this. It did seem like more Eye's than Saug's. smile.gif I am looking forward to trying it again in the spring or even this winter. I feel like I just started to learn things about dark fishing on the Croix this year.

Cool!, Hey what about glow spoons or chubbydarters? Think a jigging rap with phosporescent paint would work?

Tunrevir~ smile.gif

TrollerX.....

How deep did the saugs come from.I usually cast shallow for my eyes 1-8fow but have caught fish suspended over 15fow .This is fall fishing havent tried much night fishing for eyes on the riv during summer.Was there any size to the saugs you caught?

When the water was high the fish were shallow eating. Once the water level was normal they were in 14-22 feet. It was the normal river mix of shorties and some nice fish mixed in. I did not notice a difference from what I would expect to catch on the troll during the day. I only tried doing this in Afton and North Hudson. It was fun for me because I am not normally the guy fishing with the anchor down in one place. Kind of drives me crazy but it seems to work well at night. I think you have to do something to draw attention to your presentation as night on the river more than you would on a lake. So, anything that makes noise or glows would probably work to some extent. I do think the slow presentation is important. I know a bunch of river rats that have trolled nights and not done anything to speak of. How about that weekend forecast? Who's going fishing???? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Ive trolled at night but only with an electric motor.I think the stained water makes a difference for night time activity as far as chasing a bait goes.Ill be ouy sunday for sure.Imay remain north of Hudson though.Havent fished in the bayport area as much this year and want to check on some preice locations.Saw skim ice on the river yesterday morn in the Stillwater area so were gettin close. grin.gif

I'm hoping to get out on Sunday in the PM as my wife is having a gathering with the girls starting in the early a.m. saturday through sunday afternoon. Hope I can get out!

Tunrevir~