• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dealing with Ice

delta hunter

Just being curious, but lets say the lakes and ponds keep so of that ice on. lets say there is 10-20 ft along the shoreline do just try busting a big area out or what? I've never had to deal with ice before, so I'm kinda clueless!

You can clear a patch of ice to create a landing zone. Most try to shove the big pieces of ice under the main shelf or out into any open water to make it look better. Can also set a few dekes on the ice itself.

That's what I do. Just as bigdog has explained. Can be difficult at times though as the open water will want to freeze up again and your decoys are in the middle of it all. Takes a little effort but can be rewarding.

What do you use to bust up the ice with? I just went out to the lake I hunt and it was pretty much frozen. Now, if a lake becomes froze over completely is it worth hunting that even if I was to bust open a big area?

If its thin I just walk around with waders or hip boots. If you have a boat you can use that.

Is it worthwhile to bust ice - that is a tough question. The first day it freezes things up, yes, definately. After that it can be hit or miss. Depends on bird traffic in the area.

The lake that I've been hunting is mainly a resting area for migrating birds, and I have been seeing a little bit more traffic as of lately. So I guess I just see what happens!

We usually have our best hunting of the year in the next week and a half. We just walk around and break up the ice. If it is really think just sit on the edge and it will keep breaking back. This is a good time of year to have really warm and durable waders. I use a pair of canvas waders this time of year for that reason. Good luck!

just got back from the lake i hunt. there was about an inch of ice. I know tomorrow its suppose to be like 45 degrees. and windy on saturday. So it should open up a little. How thick of ice can you guys usually break through with your boats. Also what works good to break it open with by hand.

Last year in my old boat 14ft Alumacraft 7.5 merc I was bustin 2 in. This year could be more since I have a heavier boat.

If the ice is thin, like 1/8 inch or less, I just walk around in my waders otherwise if it's 1/4 inch or better, I use the boat.

What I do is cut basically a 1/2 moon shape cut about 40 yards out from shore around the entire point that I'm hunting. Cut it either by walking or with the boat. Then, like a pie, I cut slices into the 1/2 moon sheet of ice. Make enough cuts to make smaller "pie" pieces because the ice can get a bit heavy and hard to move at times. After cutting my "pie" pieces, I get out in my waders with waterproof gloves, grab hold of the end of the slice by shore, and push each sliced sheet out towards the lake side and usually the opposite end of the ice sheet will slide under the main body of ice. Doing this opens up a nice hole around the area I'm hunting. Makes it quicker and easier to do it in sheets rather than to bust it up and have all kinds of small pieces of ice everywhere.

The thickest ice I've broken through with our 14' aluminum boat and 15hp motor is close to 1". It gets a bit difficult to break ice thicker than that in my opinion, but I'm sure thicker ice can be broken. Need a well constructed heavy boat to break through though.

I have on occassion used the boat to push sheets of ice out under the main lake body of ice too. Just turn the boat around, put it in reverse, and use the flat back end of the boat to do your pushing. This will work well if you're in deeper water that is too deep to walk. Or, if you don't have water proof gloves, or any other reason.

I'm feeling feeling pretty good now about tomorrow morning. Yesterday I was having my doubts. I went out today and walked on the ice with my waders. Today I broke through. Yesterday I didn't. Today there was a little less then an inch, but the ice was real soft. I have 12 ft boat. I'm thinking i'm gonna have to drag it out from the landing and then break through out farther. And put the boat in. I'm thinking i should be fine then. Also its only suppose to get down to like 35 degrees tonight.... Did i mention there was a flock of about 75 mallards sitting right on the ice... Can't wait till morning.

Sounds good cat, where are you guys going to set up, so that I can set up on the other side!

Howd you do Delta, I woke up at 3 30 only to be told by dad that I couldn't go because he had volunteered me to help out my uncle at 8, really put a damper on my day, I don't know if Catmaster went out or not.

Spent more time busting ice then actually hunting, only saw 2 mallards, I think I'm going to go out this afternoon and bust open a big area, so that it will be open tomorrow if it does freeze over tonight!

went out this morning on minnesota river only seen 5 ducks, none within range, Will probably try field hunting Sunday

I was going to bust some ice here today but just didn't think that I was up to it. I have been having better luck on fields lately so thats what I hunted. Me and my buddy limited out on mallards. They sure sucked in nice, and I think that we did much better in the field than we would have on the lake. Greenheads were circling within 10 feet of us after we had our limit so we just sat back and watched the show!!!Fun stuff cool.gif

That sounds like a good time! I only have one farm site that I can hunt, I really need to get out there and scout and get permission to hunt some more fields!