• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Kills me to do this...Free Non-Hunting Chessie to adult home...

Hey Guys,

I hate to have to do this...I need to find a home for Dreefee, my non-hunting 10 year old Chessie. frown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif She has the very typical trait that Chessies are known for, she's protective of her space and her owner. Unfortunately, she has decided that my little boy is not her owner. There is a little too much posturing around the house and, although I really believe it is no more than posturing, I won't forgive myself if she takes a shot at him (neither would my wife). She will be a great dog in an adult household. She is extremely playful and energetic, especially for a 10 year old dog. She loves fishing trips, boat rides and will swim all day...non-stop. She is very affectionate with me and will sit beside me all day with her head on my lap. She's been an important part of our life but hasn't handled the addition of the little guy. I'd like to see her go to somebody she can live her life out with instead of simply being put down. Further, it'd be nice if it was somebody on this forum, I trust you all and I trust you'll care for her (that's why it's posted here instead of on the "Free Stuff" page). I wouldn't mind bumping into her now and then either. I know, this reads like a personals ad but I'm gonna miss the old girl...

If you are interested please send me a note at esoxesox at hotmail.com.

Thanks,

Lota Lota...

Lota, I'm sorry to hear that. That's a hard blow to take. I hope you find a good place for her.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Thats a bummer. Sounds like the dog has the run of the house. Have you considered kenneling or crating the dog when your son is around. Wish you the best and hope it works out for you.

She is fine when I'm around. It is when I'm not home that the problems occur. She is home all day in the house so I really don't want to crate her the rest of the night too. She's been an "inside dog" to this point so an outside run really isn't going to work for her (she's getting a little thin in the coarse Chessie fur too).

Lota Lota...

Lota,

I know where you are coming from, I had to do the same last winter with my two-year old male ches. One evening, I asked the boss to come out for supper and my male was laying by my feet when my daughters cat walked by, he must have thought it was getting to close, and so goes the story. It is a very hard thing to do with an animal that has become part of the family. One of the truck drivers at work took him and they are like to peas in a pod, sometimes I think we under rate animals and think, ah it's just a dog, but it is amazing how they become so attached to you and your family.

Maybe this doesn't sound like it is going in the right direction, but honestly if someone who is looking for a good dog, these chessies will attach theirselves to you like a rash and remain loyal forever!

Good luck lotalota, I know what your feeling, it is a tuff ordeal!

Lota,

I hope things work out for you and the family. I'll try and give you a call on the cell later this morning or you can give me another try.

Good luck with your dog and I'll talk to you later.

Take care,

Tom (BD110)

Lota,

I cringed when I read your post. Sorry man, that has to be tough. I can't help you out, but I did forward your post on to a close friend. You should see the email as I BCed it to you. Good luck and I hope things work out. JH

Man this kills me to hear Lota. I know how much that dog means to you. You gotta do what ya gotta do though. Hopefully someone on here would like a dog that loves the outdoors. I can say that I have been in the boat with this dog many times and its not a problem at all.

If you are a outdoors person and have been thinking about a dog to share your time with this dog would be a great one to have.

Again Lota Im sorry to hear this I know its killin you to have to do.

There may something that you can do so you can keep your friend. I had a springer who at age 5 decided to become over protective of her space. She started acting very aggressive toward anyone who walked in the door. This was not a problem that I could tolerate so I took her to a Duluth area dog trainer. He said it was a socialization problem and could be corrected. After about 10 sessions with the trainer and lots of work on the family's part the problem ceased. She lived another 10 years and was a good dog to the end. There are several trainers listed in the Duluth yellow pages.

Lota, I'd try the trainer thing too. there is no way I could part with my dog, she is part of the family, If I was in your shoes, I'd try confineing the dog untill you are there or keep them seperated untill you are around, If that dog becomes attached to your new baby, it might be one of the best things for them both, the dog may start to protect the child and what more could you ask for.