• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone every paint there own spoons?

I'm thinking about buying some cheap spoons or making some hopkin like lures and just painting them myself for use on the breakwall next spring. Losing Krocs started getting a little spendy for me, the problem wasn't snagging them on rocks, (even though I did lose 2 that way)the main problem was that after casting all day I sometimes would accidently not flip the bail all the way up and when I cast and the bail came back down SNAP! Lost most of them that way. Say you cast 500 or so times and screw up once, it happens. I thought that it might not matter as much if the line snaps and I'm not out 5 bucks each time.

What could I use for paint? Is there anything I could use to get that beautiful gold shine?

It's not that you couldn't paint them nicely. There are guys on this board who are practically artists at painting minnow baits and spoons.

The thing about Krocs is the weight and profile. They cast so far because they're so narrow and thick. The cheaper bargain spoons I've seen are wider and thinner, and don't cast worth a darn compared to the frozen ropes you get with Krocs. If you're trolling, it's not an issue. If you're casting, it is.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I airbrush spoons and stick baits. Start out with acrylic enamels and once you get the feel for it you can include lacquer. Depending on the paint job and effect your looking for will depend on the type you blank you buy. You'll be painting over white or on top a bright finish. Which ever you do you'll finish off with a clear top coat, I use lacquer. You can get 1/2 pint enamels at Wallmart, the harder to get colors and lacquers you can find on-line.

I use a double action paasche air brush and a small compressor.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

I airbrush spoons and stick baits. Start out with acrylic enamels and once you get the feel for it you can include lacquer. Depending on the paint job and effect your looking for will depend on the type you blank you buy.

What do you mean by the type you blank you buy?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

A raw blank you'll prime white then paint. A polished brass or chrome blank you won't prime and when painted will give you a totally different translucent effect. Both need a top coat in either acrylic or lacquer.