• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MinnKota Co-Pilot

cjac

Question

Looking for general feedback on these, are they a benefit or a gimmick?

I spent last weekend in the wind thinking how much easier it might be than doing the "flamingo stance" and trying to work a pedal while maintaining balance.

Thanks!

13 answers to this question

I purchased one at the start of the season and love it! It's like my FL-8, I can't believe I ever fished without it. I am yet to find a negative about it.

LovenLifeGuy

I have had mine for two years and I love it. I have a tiller boat so I fish in the back by using the co-pilot I have one less thing to trip over. It seems to be sensative enough when changing speeds and steering. I am not able to fish as much as I would like but I use my bow mount often and have never had the cable and pedal out of storage.

I have had one the past year and love it. I have a bow mount and the co pilot is more sensative and easier to adjust speed and direction than a foot control. I wear mine on my right wrist with the control on the inside of my wrist and can keep my left hand there to adj often in the wind while holding my rod with my right hand. Also you can get up and walk around while still fishing.

I love it, its great.

I dont like it when its really windy and I have to reel in a fish and control the boat at the same time though.

But it does give you much more freedom in the boat and there is no cord laying all over the place either.

I've got one and like others I love it.

Its a lot easier than using the foot pad.

I usually have lots of rods in the boat and rather than buying a remote clip for each rod, I attached velcro to one clip and to about a dozen rods. Makes switching rods faster and easier, plus you don't have that clip on each rod when you don't need it.

Ditto localguide regarding wind and what most everyone else has said. I actually created a wristband to keep my remote on, then it doesn't matter which rod I'm using.

Bottom line:

Do I like it? Yes, very much.

Would I buy again? In a heartbeat.

I wear mine around a lanyard too.

I put a piece of velcro on the back of the remote so it sticks to the carpet on the gunnels of the boat. Which is nice at times.

If I had 3 arms and hands I wouldnt complain one single bit!

I have tried the co-pilot and think both the standard foot pedal and the co-pilot each have their place. I think the co-pilot is nice but sometimes I like the foot pedal better. Especially when I need to turn NOW but both hands are busy.

I have a 2 year old who loves to step on my foot control. I bought the co-pilot the beginning of last season and both of us are happy. I can control the boat and actually fish, and he can still step on the foot control. Well worth it.

Thanks for all the replies and good feedback.

One thing about a FMers....we are all so willing to spend other people's money! smile.gif

Thanks guys, I'm sold on one.

Chris