• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

CVA wolf 209 muzzle loader

icecold

Im looking into getting a muzzle loader for next deer season and was wondering if anyone had any comments on this brand of muzzleloader/ has shot one or has one, any info would be great.

Ice, my son(14 years old) bought one this year to use during the gun season. He has shot it several times over the summer and it's very accurate. Seems like a well built gun and as easy to clean as my Omega at a third the cost. The only problem I have seen with it is the ram rod is cheap and weak and he broke his already. Other than that a very respectable gun.

I personally would just spend a few more bucks and buy a Thompson Center. I found a nice stainless or blued at Gander for aroud 4 bills. Really as far as guns are very affordable. I was looking at the CVAs too for this year. But decided I will just continue to bow hunt and put the TC in my budget for next year!

I own 1 CVA and 2 Thompsons. If I had to do it over again I would NOT buy a Thompson. CVA's are a tremendous value! Great gun, great deal. My TCs' are great also, but certainly not worth the difference in cost.

I am also thinking of getting a muzzle loader. I've seen the ones at gander that are packed in the plastic that come with every thing you need to get started. Are those any good? I don't want to drop 400 to 500 hundred bucks on a gun if I'm not going to like it? Should I stay away from those?

I am also looking for a muzzleloader for my dad. I curently own a traditions and love it but no one in the area carrys them any more and I know my dad likes mine also. I was looking at the CVA Wolf also cause it was simple for him to use. Any coments about the gun it's self. I know the Knight and Thompson are better but cash is lean for me and he might only use it once or twice a year.

Froggy

I shot a muzzleloader for the first time this past weekend. I shot both a break action and a bolt action. The Omega break action was much easier to load the primer - just by hand, instead of using fumbling around with a loading tool. The bolt action was also a nice new gun - Thompson, I believe, but I preferred the simplicity of the break - especially in a stand. Just a rookies opinion. They were both fun to shoot.

To those of you looking to get a muzzleloader I would suggest getting the CVA Kodiak. I paid $180 at Sportsman for it but watch for them to go onsale. I looked at the cheaper CVA's and the stock is hollow sounding if you hit and could scare a deer away. I just got mine this year and took 2 deer already with it. It is easy to clean. I looked at the Thompson but then I saw the price tag. The Kodiak is the cheaper version of the Thompson Omega. My only suggestion to new people to ML is becareful in what you use for propellant. I currently use 90gr of Triple 7 FFG powder with a 295 grain bullet. The max powder I can use is 100gr. There really isn't a need for more IMO. First deer dropped in its tracks and the second went 60 yards. The 50 cal leaves a nice hole and it exciting to wait for the smoke to clear and see how you did. Good luck.