• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Planning a big game hunt where should I go

DRH1175

We are thinking of planning rifle big game hunt. where would be a good place to hunt and what should we hunt. We want to try something different. Caribou, Muleys, Elk, whitetail somewhere else than Mn? What is worth trying? We have been going to ND every year for Water fowl. But want to go somewhere for a big game hunt.

apply for the MN moose hunt. I did it in 1996. A friend of mine and myself applied for the BWCA and got picked the first year. I have talked to other people who have hunted up there and got drawn the first year. It is hard, but if you have a few able bodied friends it isn't to bad. We spent 3 days and shot a cow. we didn't see anything else and were running out of dry gear and energy. It was a good trip, now that i am older I wish i could try again...

A few years back I got to go bear hunting in Canada near LOTW. I used a blackpowder gun and got a nice bear. I went 2 years in a row hunted 4 days each time and shot a 200 pounder the first year and nothing the second year. I actually saw a HUGE one but was un-prepared. During the day you can fish as well. It was pretty fun.

heck, if nobody else has anything to add, i'll go one more time. It has been a few years but I have been to Craig CO several times. There are a ton of mule deer and some elk to be had way up the mountain (black mountain i think) it's nice country and there is alot of public area. off the mountain in the sage brush is some of the most fun mule deer hunting you can do. Get up on a little hill and glass the big boys in the ravines, sneak up and try and get a shot. Let me know what you choose, I might try hog hunting down south next....

Thanks for your ideas. We are in the planning stages and really havn't decided what we want to try. Mostly we want something we can do on our own. Maybe spot and stalk etc... We are looking for somewhere that there is plenty of land and animals to be had. More ideas of something interesting would be greatly appreciated.

I had good hunting in Wyoming for Mulies and Whitetails around the beartooth mountains and the Hulet area. We got drawn most times for licenses without a problem and there were tons of deer and definitely a different kind of hunting than Wisc. or MN can offer. We are now trying to get drawn in Colorado for elk but haven't had any success getting tags. The good areas are tough to get in to without preference points built up.

Eastern Montana. Doe tags for white tails, mulies and antelope. Cheap tags, lots of BLM land. If you like it, you can always apply for buck tags in the future.