• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First Ice

Riverratpete

Well I might ask well as the question.....When will we get 1st ice..and I'm not talking crazy talk about fishing on 1-2 inches and risking life but normal 4 inches? I'm thinking if it gets as cold as they say and stays cold I'll be going with 17 Dec.

Well... I'm not an old timer, but I have spent 35 winters in Minnesota. And I would say Dec 17th is a safe bet for most lakes in Minnesota, but not Mille lacs. This big puddle catches too much wind, and she can have 2 inches one day and open water the next. I always plan fishing trips to other lakes early season. Save Mille lacs til after Christmas... Strange.. Upper Red, another big lake, but always one of the first to freeze over. The 17th would probably be a good bet for Lake of the Woods if you are after eyes. They are mostly little ones up there, and a lot more ealpout, but it's still fun, and there is always a chance for a descent sized fish. Good Luck!!

Almost every year we go ice fish on ML between nov.25 and nov.30 with 5 to 9 inch. of ice if you know where to go.

Really, on Mille Lacs? I've been out thanksgiving weekend the last 2 years and the harbor I launch at hasn't even been totally frozen over, last year there was about an inch over half the harbor, nothing a 2x4 couldn't take care of. And that's in 4ft of calm water, how shallow are you fishing to get that much ice?