• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lakes near Albertville/Otsego

Hey all. Just bought a house near the Albertville outlets. Looking for some good lakes in the area. Mainly bass fisherman, but love to catch anything. Been to Sugar before, saw some bigboys and caught some walleyes there. Just wondering about some other lakes that might be worth hitting up in my new hood!

Buffalo Lake would be a good option. Many smallies come out of there. Another would be the Crow river or the Mississippi. Pulaski has some nice bass in it. I don't fish exclusivly for bass very often so i don't know many other good bass lake in the area.

Odds are, if it's got water it's a good bass lake out in this area! Realy, there are so many good bass lakes. The river is about the best SM water rivaling Mille Lacs or the boundry waters. So much water so little time.

Fishinbill, jbell is correct that many of the lakes in wright county have good populations of bass. However, I have fished buffalo and Pulaski alot, and the bass I have caught have been small. Buffalo does have some nice sized bass but it came be hard to pattern the fish. The river is very good and don't forget the Rum R., it has lots of smallmouth bass, some of these bass can reach the 6 lb. ranger. I prefer my bass fishing on sugar and clearwater lakes. They have much better and larger weedbeds.

Lets remind people that the river isnt a place that you can just dump any boat and go.

When waters are at a normal level during summer and fall, you better be on your toes if you have not ever been out there.

Our own Ebass from FM just took his lower unit off last week, and he has been on the river a lot with his rig the past couple years.

As far as good lakes? Wright County is LOADED with good lakes.

Check out the Montrose area website site on the DNR page for listings of lakes and assessments.

Ouch!! Sorry to hear about the lower unit EBass!

Maple lake is a good one for walleyes and Bass!

Ole

The river is hard enough to run in a jetrig, look at the bottom of any river rig and you will see what I mean, and the thought of any bass weighing over 5 pounds in the river is just insane, I dont think the DNR has even ever seen one over 5 in there electroshocking, thats my 2 cents

Thanks guys...all this info is great. At the moment I am boatless but hopefully that will change in spring...otherwise it's back to the cities with my fishing partner....just means I have to get up earlier. I have been spoiled in years past fishing 2-3 lakes and getting to know them well and catching numbers and size...would love to get into more smallies....river would be nice but my buddies' motor is suspect. I'll take more ideas too! keep em coming so I have stuff to research this winter

• 2 weeks later...

I used to fish Charlotte a lot - can be a hard lake to fish as it is very clear water. I also fished Schmitt's lake (1st lake to the west of the beach on Beebe and on the north side of the road). This lake freezes out every few years, but used to be a good lake to fish off of shore. I have also heard rumors about Green Mountain Lake holding some nice bass and sunnies. It is just to the west of Schmitt's and also on the north side of the road.

Lenny, Schitmdt lake last summer had gotten a fence put across where you would drive on at and a sign of private property was posted. Water level going down makes it a private lake.

Other waters I have fished for bass are Clearwater Lake north of annendale. Several tournements are held there each summer. I have a west metro lakes guide, I could sell you. It has really good info on area lakes.

• 2 weeks later...

I cought some nice bass on indian lake. Last year I cought one about 5-6lbs out there.

If the water went down it shouldn't make a difference, the last time I looked at the laws it goes by the part that would make it a public lake would be the high water mark - at one point this mark was within the right of way and the lake should still be public. I will try to look it up and see what I can find.

jiginjim,

I just found this from a MN water laws website, I just did a google search for MN public water laws. According to this I would think that the lake is still public as the road was abuts the lakeshore. One thing I will need to look into further is how far the right of way extends from the centerline of the road.

Minnesota case law has established that a public road abutting a body of water gives the public riparian rights to the water. Riparian rights exist whether or not the lake is navigable or public and regardless of who owns the bed. Riparians are entitled to exercise their rights over the entire surface of the lake. One riparian cannot keep others from using all of the lake. Where access to a "wetland" is available from a public road, Minnesota Statutes Section 103G.235 provides the following: "In order to protect the public health or safety, local units of government may establish by ordinance restrictions upon public access to any wetlands from city, county or township roads which abut wetlands." In all other cases (i.e., state or federal roads abutting "wetlands" or any public road abutting a "public water"), the public has the riparian right of access.

jiginjim,

I just talked to a Kevin with the Wright County Engineering Dept. He told me that the R-O-W along Schmitt lake is 50' from the centerline of the road. So if any of the water is within 50' of the centerline of the road, you can access the lake and fish from shore at that point. I will be down there over christmas and will bring a tapemeasue with me and check it out.

I also emailed the DNR on this but will probially not hear back as I know they do not like to get in the middle of these things.

I finally heard back from the DNR and this is what they said

Our Information Center staff forwarded your inquiry to Enforcement for

a reply. The information you included in your email about access to

waterbodies includes key information that has been decided by court cases

(case law), where one private party has sued another private party

regarding access issues, including fencing.

There are some variables that can crop up on individual sections of

road. Sometimes, there are unusual, temporary changes in the water levels

that are unexpected. Sometimes a fence may be above the water level

for 15 or 20 years and then one season it is higher. In that particular

instance, the public's access may be temporary and short term in

nature.

Another variable is the status of the roadway. Most, but not all,

county roads are owned by the county. In some instances, there is only an

easement recorded on the deed to the property. If there is only an

easement recorded on the deed, and the easement is limited to vehicle

travel, it is possible that there may not be legal access to the water

body. Deeds, ownership, and easements can all vary.

The general rule of thumb in what you have described is that you would

have access and that the fence should not be there. However, there may

be other factors (such as those I described above) that come into play

that completely change the outcome.

The county should be able to tell you if the county owns the roadway or

if there is simply an easement, and the extent of any easement for the

road. The local Conservation Officer may be familiar with the location

and may be able to offer some information. His name is Rick Reller,

and his phone number is 320-274-2733.

Pat Watts, DNR Enforcement Division St Paul

Guys....

What is the big deal?? Even if there are a few good fish in there. IS it really worth the hassle. Wright County only has 100+ other lakes to check out ooo.gif Why not find one that does not have this issue to deal with. I know for a fact that many other water bodies have better fisheries that what is in Schmidt.

I suppose I can understand the allure of a lake your not allowed to fish... Heck, I think most of us angler types did that as a kid (Well OK, I did back eastgrin.gif). I also understand it pisses us all off if it is one person telling us no access, but really, they are just fish. Remember?

All I can say, is look a little farther west and you will be pleasantly surprised. Good luck. wink.gif

I used to like it because it was close to my house - I could get off of work and still have a few hours to fish on the way home without haveing to fight for a spot like most of the other lakes around it.