• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New guy has question.

cliffy

I am new to the sport of archery and I need some help. I have been thinking about getting into this particular sport for the past three years. I have even shot a few bows such as PSE, Darton and Matthews. I can tell that this is something that I would really enjoy...not only for hunting but just target practice as well.

Every time I get into a new activity that requires buying equipment, I try to purchase the best possible equipment so I don’t need to keep updating every year. This has been true for other things I am involved in...such as ice fishing, musky fishing, deer hunting (riffle) and so on.

My question is this? How often does bow technology change. If I spend top dollar now, is it going to be outdated in a year or two......an example would be computers....you buy one today, and three years later, its bottom self.

Thanks for the info.

All companies work on improving there products, so yes, it will get outdated compared to new models, but there is no reason you can't shoot a bow for up to 10 years or better.. New strings and tuned up every year and it should shoot for you for a long time. I like to trade up every 3 or so years. But you are right, it gets spendy.

If you don't go cheap, your bow will not go "out of date". Better stuff may come along but yours will be good until it wears out. A lot of guys shoot recurves in spite of the fact that much newer technology exists and their bows are good. My 2 wheeler is almost 10 years old but I hit well with it and it was a gift from one of my boys. There is new technology since then but it's not like computers where your software and tech support goes away. My bow will last a long time yet. Buy good quality now and welcome to a great sport!!

Thanks for the info. I just didnt want to drop, for example, 1200.00 on a top of the line equipment...just have it be bottom self in a year or two.

Thanks agian for the info...I am sure to have many more questions in the future...

Cliffy, dont let the fancy high price bows affect your buying. There are lots of bows that will last you a long time that wont break your bank account. Shoot what feels good in your hands. You dont need the fastest shooter, a good forgiving bow and practice and your good to go. gl in your decision and oh yeah you will be hooked

Clif- Some bow company will come out with something new each and every year. That doesn't always mean the others are outdated. In the last 20 years, archery has come quite a long way. Center shot risers, 65+% let off, bows that can shoot 300 fps quite easily. You dont need to buy the best as stated, yet can enjoy many years with your bow.

Go out, shoot a buch of bows and find one that feels like it FITS you. Go from there!

What kind of arrow rest would you recommend for a new guy. I have a buddy that shoots a WB and another that has a drop away arrow rest. I know its a matter of taste, but what do you think would be best for a new guy like me that is just starting out?

The WB is very simple to hunt with even for a beginner. It takes away some of the problems I had to contend with as a new hunter, like bumping my arrow off the rest, rattling it, etc. I shoot it now & can't imagine using a different rest.

I have had my bow for 12 years now. Jennings I added 320.00 in new tech.. to it this year and a new string now and again and it still works great!!! you can always upgrade any parts of the bow with new tech. the bow it self will last for a decade.

• 3 weeks later...

The way I look at it if you could kill a deer with your bow when you bought it and you take care of it and get it tuned up every few years it will kill deer till you are to old and crippled to hunt anymore. If the indians could kill a deer with a 2 peices of wood, a tendon, and a rock, then any of the new technology should be an improvement still capable of killing a deer ( that is the goal right? )

You don't need to spend big bucks on a bow, just get something that you can afford, feels comfortable, and isn't set to high to shoot comfortably (55-60 lbs would be the max I'll ever hunt with for deer at least) The big thing is go out and starting to let arrows fly all summer long 3-5 times a week if possible, then you won't need fancy do dads and whachamacallits to kill deer, just your own skill and your weapon of choice.

I would go with a Wisker biscuit for hunting, can't drop and arrow or clank one around with them.

Cliffy...

If you are new to the sport I would suggest using anything that will allow you to start developing sound habits. The wb is such a product. You will give up a little arrow speed with one, but you will gain a lot in the confidence building department and that is way more important than speed.

Once you have things down pat you can start to deal with options. Way too many people think that you have to start with the best to be the best , but far more good archers are born on baby steps. That's the direction I suggest. Once you shoot confidently and accurately, the options for growth are endless.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the good info and suggestions....

I ended up buying a Mathews Switchback (60-65lb)....well, I guess its on lay-a-way and my wife/family were going to make the final payments....just in time to get it under the tree for Christmas.

I am still doing a little more research on which sighting system and arrow rest to purchase. I shot a bunch of different set-ups and the WB was pretty much fool proof. I was just concerned about how much noise it makes. Do any of you have any suggestion on what style or type of sighting system? What kind of arrows do you guys recommend?..and how about targets??

From doing a lot of reading on other Archery sites, If you go with a WB rest one of the best arrows to reduce noise is the Beman ICS or ICS hunter shafts that are black (not camo). It just so happend those were the shafts I was shooting when I switched to a WB rest. It wasn't until I bought some new arrows (Carbon express terminator hunter selects in camo) that I found out that some shafts make a lot of noise with the WB. I have since gone back to the ICS shafts and am very happy. No noise from the WB.

There are a lot of good sights out there. Personally I use a cobra sidewinder 3 pin but they are not known for incredible duribility, more for being very bright. It's open to opinion but I think Spot Hog makes the most durable sights on the market. G5 is coming out with a line of sights that look really nice but I think they'll fetch a pretty penny. Trophy Ridge are pretty darn good so are copper john.

Good luck.

I'm in the same position as you were in, about month ago and after shooting alot of different setups, I went with a single pin from Impact Archery Products and a Trophy Ridge Dropzone Hunter for my rest. I got to the point of listening to so many people telling what was the best, I went with this combo otherwise, I still be listening!! That is my .02 worth. Now I'm trying to come up what type of head and if I'm going to go with the lighted nocks. I myself went the Mathews way, only with a MQ1.

Ken

I shoot a Mathews LX (which was an upgrade from my MQ1). I like the Extreme Archery sights but that is my preference.

For a rest I prefer a fall-away to a WB. I've been shooting a Muzzy Zero Effect on both of my bows. The two things I love about it is that the rest is connect to my string so it has to move and the rest itself is elongated on one side to prevent arrows from falling off. The long side also makes it easier for adding mole skin to the rest.

Just my $.02 worth.