• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best out west Caliber?

DRH1175

We are planning a trip out west to Montana or wyoming for some hunting. Not sure what we are going to go after. If it will be Mulies or Whitetail, or even elk. Thinking it will be for Mulies though.

Anyways in your opinion what is a solid caliber. I currently own a .270 Was wondering if I needed anything bigger like a .300WSM or 7MM mag or If I will be pleasantly happy with the .270. Just wondering what you all thought. Thanks

you will be fine with your .270. But, if you are like me, any excuse to get a new rifle, the 300WSM or the 7mmMag are both a little faster (flatter) than the .270 and typically shoot heavier bullets that will help you with larger game like elk. I like a partion bullet for elk and bear and a sierra boat-tail for deer in my 7mmMag. Another thing to consider is elevation. I am in ok shape but i'm no tri-athlete, but the thin air you might be hunting in makes any rifle feel 20 pounds heavier than it is, so if you get a new rifle, get a light one. Hope you have a great time!

Oh I will deffintly try and loose some weight before I go. And work at the Gym intensly before going. I just think I will enjoy the trip a bit more. I think the .270 will be just fine. Especially since if need be Federal makes some high energy loads that I could go to. If I was to buy another gun it would maybe be a 7mm wsm. But I really am happy with my Tikka .270. Very light and deadly accurate! Maybe just spend the money on Equipment and the trip itself.

Stick with the 270. I just got back from Sturgis/Belle Fourche SD area and the deer there are no different than the deer here, just a whole LOT more of them. Surprisingly, what they considered a good sized doe was actually what we would have considered an average one hunting eastern SD. A good heart shot with my 270 killed my doe fast enough that an elk placed as well wouldn't have been trouble, and mulies aren't much different than white tails. Unless you know you are going to be doint shooting out to 400 yards, I agree, save the money and buy a round (after the day is done).

Deeky

you didn't say it was a Tikka. Then i'd for sure just use that. they really don't come any lighter and there is nothing much better for the money....

Yup, stay with the 270. It will take any of the game you mentioned and since you're already familiar with it your one up on buying a rifle.

Course if you can convince the wife you need a new rifle I'd go ahead and do that as well.

I wouldn't mind having 8 different Tikka's in 8 different calibers. But for now I am plum happy with the .270. I can't think of a better gun than the tikka except for the sako. But in my opinion the tikka is just a more affordable version of the sako.

I lived in Utah for 7 years so here's my .02. Having shot elk with everything from a 25/06 to a .338, I'd say your 270 Win is just fine. I did kill one with the 270 WSM, which is a great caliber but if you already own the 270 Win, you don't need to upgrade. It's plenty for mule deer. The bigger issue is getting in shape for the elevation and becoming comfortable shooting at long ranges. That's much more important than the marginal differences in caliber.

Your .270 will be fine for mulies especially if you shoot it well. Personally I'd go with something bigger if I was going after elk but you would be fine with the .270 if you shoot it well and take good shots. Mule deer are awesome but I think they go down pretty easy compared to a whitetail - sometimes I think all you really need to do is scare them and fall over dead. Have a great trip.