• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good spot for a hunting trip?

Fatty07

Am looking to set up a bowhunt trip for me and a friend. Would like to make a bow hunting trip somewhere next year. Normaly hunt SD and ND for birds, but next year am gonna take a week (or part of one). Want to chase a few deer. Probably in late October. Thinking of Northern Minnesota or South East corner of the State. Any suggestions? Have got prim maps of the whole state (almost). Have alot of options. Would even think about Iowa or Wisconsin hunt? Just looking for suggestions. Would like to camp if available and will have to hunt public land. What have some of you done in the past? Thinking of maybe doing the camp riply hunt, but would rather a more secluded spot. Also would like to go to an area with an extra doe permit. So we can take a doe without using our tags up.

I always enjoyed hunting SchoolCraft game refuge just south of Bemidji Minnesota. Its a large Bow only hunting area with quite a few deer and is usually known for nice sized der as well...

Just a quick note...they opened up some of the other "bow only" refuges around Bemidji last year to rifle hunting, so in turn that pushed alot more bow hunters into Schoolcraft. Food for thought.

Didn't know skoolcraft offered hunting. Have stayed there in the past. Does the state park stay open for camping? I Have a prim map. Where is the bow hunting area? Any other suggestions?

Thank you

Tamarack Wildlife refuge N. of Detroit lakes.

Great area for bowhunting, grouse, ducks, and geese.

Bowhunting is fantastic since it's a seperate management unit, only a few deer hunters hunt it for deer with a gun and LOTS of monster buck live in there. It's over 100,000 acres of lakes, swamps, rivers, ridges, and some pretty deep, dark areas. I have personally seen some sheds and a couple of bucks out of there that could be potential state records!

Good fishing up there too!

I don't think that Schoolcraft State Park is the same as the Schoolcraft Game refuge. I could be wrong. I thought Schoolcraft Game refuge is a little bit Northeast of Itasca State Park.

Nels

Some other areas to consider are South Dakota (Sand Lake and west) or Lac Qui Parle after the close of goose season (if it doesn't land during a firearm season) both have some real monsters trotting around.