• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cedar lake

Troublehook

i know its not exactly metro, but i didnt know where else to put it. sorry. anyways, would u guys suggest it for ice fishing, it has a good dnr report.

Are you referring to Cedar Lake in Wright County near Annandale? If you are, try posting this question in the Annandale-Buffalo-Big Lake forum. Also, there are small discussions that have taken place in the past about that lake in that forum. Doing a search on fishingminnesota.com will get you some answers. You can also just email me and I might be able to help you out. wink.gif

[email protected]

Hope this helps.

No, its actually the one from scott county, sorry i didnt mention that b4 but i honestly didnt know.

I fished cedar early august this year with little success, a couple crappies and lots of sunfish. I did pick up 2 nice perch in the deepest part of the lake. I plan trying it this winter, but with little knowledge of where the fish are its tough to know where to start. Much of the lake is the same depth with little conture. I agree the dnr report makes it look like a walleye factory. I would be very interested to hear from someone that has more experience on this lake.

good crappie lake in the winter just stay deep and as far away from everyone else and the road as you can. walleyes can be found by the weelines in the winter but never had that great of luck, but you will get a few. lake really gets pounded in the winter so the main thing is to stay away from the cities that are built out there every year......

mtreno,

Thanks for the info on Cedar. I'll give it a shot during early ice time, maybe I can get out there before everyone sets up their shacks. Also, I see you are from Prior lake, any experience ice fishing lower prior lake. Thats another spot I'd like to hit this winter. I fished it a couple times this summer with mixed results, but never in the winter.

had a icehouse on cedar a few yrs back,caught plenty of

eyes,the problem was i didnt keep even one all winter,small

dinks,shallow lake and very weedy,also an aireator on the lake to prevent freeze out,did like st pats accross the street for food and supplies

the aerator will deffinitly cause thin ice,almost lost our

permanate one yr,aerator is out from st pats landing on the

point,went out one night and aerator was on,maybe 2 inches left under our house,if we hadnt gone out that night it would have sunk for sure

prophet

i dont mean to disagree with you but its in the bay around the point. in the last 5 years of me being out there i have never had thin ice on the point till you get well around it. plus it always was on, and well marked so the ice conditions always were the same - maybe it was different in the past....

upper prior can be a pain but great all the same. always seems good early and does have a decent walleye bite if you know where to go. we never pounded them but got some nice 13-17 inch fish every night. hit me later when there is ice and i will be happy to meet you out there for some pointers, but not givin up my honey hole on the web......

The lakes a zoo in the winter, but i do know it has some large eyes, just not a lot. Good luck,

Zelmsdawg

Troublehook

i would try it. the crappies tend to run in size groups. some years there small some years the real good sized. about 4 years ago we pounded them out there and they were all in the 10-11 inch range. even pulled a few over 12. the last few years from what i have seen they have been one the smaller size - 8-9 inch - but who knows maybe there bigger this year. you dont get all the choas you see on like proir - there may be alot of people there but they are there mainly to fish, not to get wasted and see how fast they can get there dirt bike going without killing themselves...... general sheilds lake just south a ways closer to lonsdale can be a good crappie lake as well.

so does your saying imply that people dont like younger outdoorsman?

"so does your saying imply that people dont like younger outdoorsman?"

no, i guess just that the youth will continue the sport of fishing for generations to come, and i will be a part of keeping this sport alive.

• 4 weeks later...

I've fished this lake for the last couple years and have seen a lot of big fish taken out. Pan fish seemed small again this summer. Best bet is to find a weedline to set up on, stay away from the main point because thats where all the people are.