• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gopher Women Basketball

Fishin Beast

The Gophers are off to a good start in the preseason, I have been to both games and alot of people are saying they might actually be better than last year with McCarville.

Anyone else on here check out the team and have any thoughts on them?

Well yesterday afternoon they took out #9 ranked Stanford 84-77. With Natasha Williams getting the tournament MVP.

I was surprised to see they beat Stanford without Broback. I hope they're that good, I love watching them, so do my girls.

The way it looks it will be a different score leader almost every night. Seems like they are getting 5-7 players in double digits everynight. And I am not going out on the limb saying they have the best bench in the nation.

Well the 10 ranked Gophers lost in a blowout at New Mexico today. Hopefully they can bounce back and keep up the decent play.

• 4 months later...

What is going on with the program? They are leaving the program like rats leaving a sinking ship.

Yeah, it's a bummer so far with Davis, Lacey, Broback and now Podominick gone. Went to several of the games at the Barn the past few years and nothing was evident. Will have to check with one of my inside sources. My question is tho, has Brenda Freese become the U's female equivalent of Lou Hoax? wink.gif

I did read somewhere that Borden has one of the top ten recruiting classes coming in. The thought was that two maybe three of them would be immediate starters. Do you suppose someone saw the handwriting on the wall?

Could be. Lots of speculation at this point. Seems a little odd that the only people who are talking so far are the parents of the kids that are leaving. After the pummeling they gave Michigan at the Barn during Shannon Schoenrock Day, this team suddenly became a group of underachievers. They got throttled in games they should've been competitive in and barely beat teams they should've trounced. Was it a team leadership problem? Was it Borton's "abrasivenes"? Was it complacent play? About all my "sources" would say so far is there were a bunch of PO'ed women and from a guys standpoint, I know how much fun that is for all concerned. One is bad enough. smirk.gif

I have an inside scoop on what is up, and I will just leave it as a bunch of not so happy players lol.

Sounds like things will hopefully be looking up and the few players that didn't get much playing time last year will be able to show what they can do.

The girls who did leave had some pretty good reasons to leave in their own cases. Liz is an olypic talent in shot put. And some left to just get alittle more playing time. Hard when you have 16 players on a basketball team. I have 8 on a rec team and it is tough having everyone happy with the minutes.

• 7 months later...

Looks like all the turmoil surrounding the team in the spring didn't turn out to be a big deal after all. The girls are off to a great start at 6-2. Could just as well be 8-0 for that matter with two fairly close losses. You have to commend Kelly Roysland for finishing what she started and providing senior leadership for the underclassmen... Go Gophs!!!!