• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What should I do with my horns?

Skunked-Rookie

I got a nice buck and I'm not going to mount it. Should I saw off the horns? My uncle said that if you don't want to saw off the horns then you can just let it sit out and let the bugs and whatever eat everything off of it untill eventually the skull and horns are the only thing left.

If I'm am not mistaken don't critters eat the antlers also?

What should I do?

I wouldn't just leave it out. Bugs won't be back until next year and you don't want the antlers exposed to sun and weather or they will dry out and fade. I would just leave in your garage and let dry out in cold weather then scrape off any exess flesh. There shouldn't be much. You can buy your own kit or have a tax mount the antlers which does not cost much. I did that and it looks very good.

Connect them together with a piece of leather boot lace. Put some sort of label as to what year the buck was shot and hang them in the corner of a room. Every year that you get a buck that's not a wall hanger, do the same and add to the collection.

I like your idea WW! It would fit well in my 4 season porch to do that without taking up the minute wall space that I have. I have taken smaller racks and countersunk screws into the base and used them for hat, coat hangers, ect., at the cabin. The bigger rack can be placed so the tines stick off the wall and they make a real nice hat/coat rack or just plain conversation piece. The other option is to cut them off and use them as a bonafide set of rattlin horns, but it seems a shame to take a really nice rack and bang them up. However, can you imagine rattling in a huge buck with those antlers? Not only would you get to enjoy them and study them closely each time you are in the field, you'd also have the chance to take a larger buck with one you have already had the pleasure to harvest!

Tunrevir~

If I have a set of rattling antlers, then the rest that aren't wall hangers have other uses. Coat and hat hangers, for sure.

But other antlers can be made into buttons. Slice pieces thin on a band saw or have someone with a band saw do it for you. Drill two holes near the center of the slices, sand them down with fine sandpaper and Hey Presto! You have buttons. Take your average jacket, hunting coat or chamois or wool shirt and switch out those stupid plastic buttons with the deer horn ones and you've suddenly got a garment that looks huntin' shack stylish and will bring out your memories of the hunt every time you put it on. Big coat buttons are best made from the wider parts of the antler, while shirt buttons should be smaller.

Great conversation pieces. Someone comments on the buttons and you casually reply that you have so many deer antlers hanging around that the 8-pointer you shot last season wasn't big enough for the wall, so you thought you'd put those average antlers to good us. That'll evoke envy for a couple reasons. grin.gif

I'd go so far as to say that a real deer hunter who has gotten engaged should replace the buttons on the wedding tux coat with antler buttons. If the bride objects, then she's not really hunting widow material — whooooops, catch and release! blush.gif

Man, I thought my dad was the only one that did crazy stuff with the antlers...The most usefull thing he does with them is cut into about a 5" length, drill and countersink holes in each end, run about a 10" length of parachute cord or skinny rope through and tie knots on each end...slip through the end of canoe loops to carry it with ease...stfcatfish, you have far too much time on your hands to think about things..... grin.gif

I wouldn't waste a rack for rattling antlers. Just my opinion.

I do this with every rack regardless of size. VERY cheap, and very easy. No cheesy kit from Walmart or anything. All done with materials at home.

antlermount14en.jpg

antlermount27qz.jpg

Mark, I also mount every set of antlers that I've ever gotten, to me they bring back memories, from the first buck that I got with my bow to the tall spike that I got one morning when it was -10 and the wind was howling to the to the forkhorn that I nailed across the bridge of the nose as he tried to run by me in a ditch, they all bring back memories. I'm a few sets behind as far as getting them mounted on a plaque, but thats my project this winter, then I'm going to hang them all in my new shop.

I haven't done it yet, but it's also my winter project for this year, if I ever get done cutting wood... I'm going to drill two holes through each skull piece & screw them to boards on my garage wall & then write the year & the weapon under each one. I used to have a couple of racks screwed to the wall in my old garage, but haven't gotten it done in the one we built. It's going on 5 years in this house, I guess it's time...

Quote:

Connect them together with a piece of leather boot lace. Put some sort of label as to what year the buck was shot and hang them in the corner of a room. Every year that you get a buck that's not a wall hanger, do the same and add to the collection.

This one is a wall hanger though. If I had the money I would of brought it to a Taxidermist, thats why I'm also debating on doing a European Mount. If I do the European Mount I'm not going to boil the skull, I would use dermestid beetles after reading more about them.

if you dont ruin the cape most taxidermists i know will mount the antlers on a plaque in exchange for the cape. the one who does mine even capes it for me so i dont have to do the skinning. also by doing this if you get some cash in the future and want to mount it you can get a cape from another deer and mount it. if you cut the antlers off of the skull plate then kiss that option good bye! got any pics of the deer to post?

I don't have any pics yet, I didn't have a camera at the time. My friend took a couple pics of the head after we got all of the meat packaged up in the freezer, so I'll have to wait untill he gets his film developed to see how the pic turned out. I actually bagged it not that far from where you are.

It is 15 points, I never got the weight but it was for sure over 200lbs. It was the biggest one I've ever drug out of the woods.

sounds like a nice one! did you cape it or just cut the head off? dont forget to post some pics when you get the chance!!!

• 6 months later...

I was looking through some old threads and saw this one and just remembered that I never posted a picture.

What do I have to do to post a pic on this thread? Can I load it with an attachment, or do I have to list the picture on some kind of photo sharing page to post it here?