• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Goose shell decoys?

delta hunter

are you looking how to do it?? i have no idea, maybe get some expanding foam spray and put a keel type thing in there with a wieght in it?

For some brands of shells, you can buy a slip in water keel and float. They work just fine. I imagine you could build your own if your ambitious enough.

See I have Carry Lite Mag goose shells, and I really don't have the money to go spend a couple hundred $ on actual goose floaters. So I'm just trying to find away that I can use my shells.

My buddies got some of that rigid pink styrafoam type insulation and cut pieces so it would fill up the shell with about 4 chunks stacked up and glued together. We didn't make keels we just tied the decoy line around the necks. A keel wouldn't be hard to add though.

Someone just told me about the black pipe insulation wrapped around the bottom of the shell as well.

Well last year before catmaster and I had purchased our boat full of decoys we made our dozen shells into floaters by putting a mallard decoy under them (early goose season so we didnt need the ducks) Basically it attached with ducktape and then there was 2 thin dowels in there to hold the decoy steady. Suprisingly it worked rather well, but you had to be careful storing them and setting them out, also they never got a chance in rough water. I like the foam idea though, sounds like the flambue pontoon decoy idea.