• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Attaching reel to ice rod

Wish2Fish

Question

I've got a few new Thorne Bros rods for the upcoming hardwater season. The last time I bought an ice rod without reel seats, the advice I was given was "use electrical tape...the fabric type". And I used it, and it worked fine. But it seems a bit undignified for rods as nice as these new Thorne Brothers' rods. So...any other suggestions? cool.gif

15 answers to this question

I use silicone tape(Tommy Tape) on all of my ice rods. It gives a great feel and grip. Silicone tape is the tape that gains its adhesiveness when it is stretched and it only really sticks to itself. It is usually available in the plumbing departments of stores. I highly recommend trying it. If you don't like it, just pull it off, it doesn't leave any residue on the rod cork at all.

Go with the electrical tape or the friction tape.

All of my Thorne Rods have the reels taped on with electrical tape.

Undignified? I don't think so and it doesn't bother me at all.

Some of my Thorne rods I've had for nearly 7-8 years now and I take the reels off a few to put on my summer rods and then retape them on.

I have always used electrical tape on my rod/reels and it works just fine....but it always seemed like a cheesy way of securing a reel to a very nice rod. But as they say, if it aint broke, don’t fix it. wink.gif

Seems to me there was a thread discussing this topic last year too. You might want to do a search and check it out...I believe it had quite a few responses.

electrical tape and friction tape (hockey type tape) can do a number on your cork handles. Go to the hardware store and get a roll of a product called "Tommy Tape" or similar - it's a silicone based tape that adheres only to itself and stretches quite a bit as well. It ROCKS for attaching your reel to the rod. It typically comes in 10yard spools for about 6 bucks. Sounds expensive, but it goes a long way (like I said, it stretches), and it's well worth the couple extra bucks. Best of all, when you want to remove a reel from a rod, two snips with a scissors and it's off - no damaged cork, no residue. Awesome stuff.

Your looking for Silicon Tape. Its located in the electrical section of your favorite hardware store. It adheres to itself with no adhesive to leave behind a sticky mess. I forget the name of the guy who originally posted this idea but it is the greatest stuff!! I usually have a couple of rolls with me at all times.

I use electrician's tape but put masking tape on first. If you need to take the reel off, just take the electrician's tape off so the cork is not damaged.

I second that!

Silicon Tape or "Tommy tape" is awesome! Works great for ice fishing and a few other misc things.

Use electric tape but take and run the first couple wraps around the handle reversed. Meaning stickey side up. Then set the reel on the rod where you want it and then tape it on no stickey mess at all. I have used rods with Tommy Tape and I sure don't care for it. It doesn't hold the reel tight enough for me. It feels like it is flopping all around one the rod to me. I like the electric tape and will always used it.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I do about the same as iff. Just fold the a few inchs of tape back on its self then wrap around the reel and handle.

FYI - going over that cork handle lightly with a fine sandpaper removes sticky stuff from last year's electrical tape, dirt, etc and makes it look like new again.

Take the rod to Menard's, Home Depot, or a big hardware store and buy some shrink tubing to fit. Probably need about 1" stuff. You'll find it in the heavy-duty electrical section. Sets up good with a hair dryer - Got the tip from Jim Keuten at Jim's Bait here in Duluth about 20 years ago. Jim's is long gone, though frown.gif

Shrink tubing works great, tuff to find though. Ended up going to a Electrical distributor to find. Just cost a bit more is all.