• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone got anything good or bad to say about a LUND alaskan in 20'? I am thinking this may be a good choice to replace my 16' mirrocraft with so I can get out on the big lake as well.

I've never fished out of one, but I've known two guys who own the Alaskan and they both say it's a great boat.

Alaskans are great boats but not a great Lake Superior boat in my opinion. The sidewalls arent very deep and on Lake Superior you want that. They also arent a wide boat. If your looking only for Big Lake Trolling then I would look into a Fisherman, Tyee or something like that. If its going to be a river boat and inland lake boat as well look at the Explorer, Mr.Pike or Pro V. All are very nice boats and deep and wide enough to get out on the big lake with. I use my 17' Explorer on the big lake a lot and I just make sure I dont get out there in any nasty weather.

It will be doing double duty as inland lake/river boat, Crane lake -Rainy lake and I want to be able to fish Gitchagoomie too.

Are there any good/honest dealers in Duluth/Superior?

I know that you can haul an ATV in them. At least thats what the 05 catalog showed. I always wondered how they got that in and out of it. This years catalog shows them hauling a dock. I guess it would save on the keel to haul your own dock around.

I will put a little plug in here for Alumacraft because that is what I own. I have a Navigator 175. It is very similar to a Lund Explorer 1700. I looked at both boats both are great boats. It seemed like I was able to get a few more features for a little less money with the Navigator. It has a huge gas tank so If you were ever to go to Canada or for camping out on Crane/Rainy/Kab etc you wouldn't have to haul any extra gas in cans.

I bought my boat from Ray's in Grand Rapids. They have Lund and Alumacraft and just about every brand of motor. They were pretty good to deal with.

RJ's and Rays are the same company. If your looking at a Lund, Alumacraft, Chrestliner or Ranger they are it in Duluth. Really about it in the area. There is Iron River sports in the Mariner Mall and H&H Marine on hwy2 both in Superior. Neither of the 2 impresses me at all and I have tried to deal with both a few times.

No matter where ya go make sure you know exactly what ya want and make sure thats what ya get in the end.

Every shop has its downfall and RJ's is that they got too big and their Service Dept is hard to get a hold of and even harder to get your boat in to get work done. Thats unless you own a Ranger. wink.gif Those guys seem to get in and out a lot faster for some reason. In peak season its hard to get work done in a timely manner.

RJ's did however get Yaht Club to honor my trailer warrenty and thats great of them.

I guess boat shops are like car dealerships in that you always hear about the bad a lot more than good.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Your asking for a boat to do 3 different tasks. IMO your going to be compromising too much.

If your happy with your 16' as an eye boat then keep it and buy a used boat for the Superior.

Bigger will gain you room but you should be picking a boat with depth and an aggressive raked V hull. Your LS boat should have a layout and offers ample room in the stern and plenty of setting for crew. Once you meet that criteria then you look at the the ability to mount hardware like riggers, masts and rod holders. Being able to get out of the wind and sun on Superior is a luxury that you'll appreciate and something you should also consider when making that decision to buy.

If multiple boats is not an option, then i would first decide what style of boat you want. Do you want a full windshield? If so (and money isnt a factor wink.gif), then i would think a boat similar to a lund 1800 fisherman/150 Yammy/T-8 kicker would be a good lake superior and very good Rainy/Crane lake boat, but it isnt gonna be a great river boat. It has good freeboard, space for riggers/rodholders and you can get a full topset for it to get out of the elements. But it will be a bear to try and anchor it in the current up by Hwy 23 on the St Louis early in the year (been there, done that, get a biggg anchor!)

Any single boat will be a compromise, try to decide what type of fishing/conditions you will do the most, and that will narrow down the makes/models to look at.

This is a great time of year to look for boats, nobody wants them over the winter. So here's my $.02. I run a 17.5' Smokercraft Ultima. Lots of boats in this class, deep hull, deep vee, dual console (I don't like the idea of freezing out my guest and cutting the trip short), 120 hp Merc, cruises at around 30-35 mph, top speed 40's something, dual live wells, and good ROD STORAGE. Furthermore, at 17.5', it's easy for me to handle the boat alone, and I want a drive on trailer. Everyone wants something a little different, but this was my list when I went shopping, whatever I got it had to have these features. Good luck.

I think Surface Tension has the best idea. Maybe I can save money and find someone with a Big boat to fish the big lake with, and I can take them 'Eye fishing in mine.

And it's a good idea to go out with a few folks who have their boats rigged for the big lake, anyway. There are probably half a dozen guys on this board who have forgotten more about rigging Lake Superior trolling boats than the rest of us will ever learn.

You can cut down the learning curve tremendously by listening to their advice. That's what FM's all about, anyway.

I always am willing to learn new tips/ways to catch fish! I am also always willing to share what I know. Unfortunately I am one who learns best by doing, not reading. I am more of a Hands on person, so you will have to take me out and show me how to do it. wink.gif

Wade there are always people looking for another body on their big lake boats. More people equals more lines in the water wich usually means more fish in the boat. Just keep a look out here come spring.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Don't get me wrong, I don't need top of the line in equipment to be happy or effective and if you've seen my rigs you'll know that. Theres just some characteristics I want in my eye boat that I absolutely don't want in a Great Lakes boat and vice versa.

Then theres the transformation from inland lakes to Superior that has to be done every time you switch lakes. For me its to much hassle and all the Superior gear stays in that boat.

As STF brought up its nice to see how guys are rigging their boats. I've been at it out there for quite some time and I still enjoy seeing how the other guys are setting their boats up. Come next spring the forum will start buzzing again about trolling, theres usually opportunities to jump in with someone.

Wade, I'm not one of the half dozen I mentioned previously. Frank is among them.

When possible, I was the one who tagged along in THEIR boats. Now that I've moved to Ely and my business commitments seem to keep getting thicker and heavier without getting me farther ahead, I'm losing touch with those friends, and it's a painful thing to have happen. frown.gif

But they are great folks, and will teach you a lot.

And when you want to come up to Ely and do some lake trout ice fishing, drop me and Chunkytrout a line.

I will probably take you up on that this winter as soon as I get settled into the new job. I will have some free weekends with the wife still down here trying to sell the house. Gas is too high to be driving back and forth every weekend. I might as well get some fishing done!

Winter laker season typically opens mid January. Among old-time Elyites and a growing crop of incomers, it's as big a deal as spring walleye opener.

You'd do well to come up for the Buntside bash, which is a big laker get-together started four years ago by Chunkytrout. Most of the attendees, though not all, are FM folks, and some even camp out overnight on the ice. Burntside is the prime laker lake near Ely. Good numbers of eaters, also fish every year in the teens and most years something at 20 or better. Divers have seen them in the depths to over 30 pounds.

There are plowed ice roads and, depending on snow/slush conditions, you can use them all winter season to get where you're going. If the snow is heavy and the slush is bad, it's snowmobile time!

Ice, come on ice! cool.gif

Wade...my friend has the 20 ft alaskan. The pros are it is an extremely roomy boat and can fish 5 fairly comfortably. It is also relatively lightweight and easy to pull. The big negative is it doesn't handle rough water well, even on inland lakes. You will get very wet. Rough waters that a 18-20 ft fisherman or tyee will normally cruise through at 25-30 mph will only allow an alaskan to go maybe 10-15 plus getting wet. The sidewalls are low and not great for kids in rough water. I do not think it would be a great rainy lake boat and definitely not lake superior unless you're willing to be flexible and only go out on calmer days. It is great boat for the river, island and fish lakes, etc., and larger lakes on calm days.

Welcome to FM Wade! I have had the same problem in the past in looking for the right boat for all of the jobs. I did manage to find one that fit all my needs. I have been mocked by fellow FM'ers when motoring up the river to spots that they said could not be done. Glared at when dropping into smaller lakes such as chub or big. But when it all comes down to it my Crestliner Saber with a walk through windshield gets me anywhere I need to go. Great Lakes is its focal point but I have not had problems fishing anywhere else. It handles rough water well, and has a Bimini with zip in windows along with a camper option.

Lots of benefits. Actually too many to point out.

Now drawbacks.

* Length 22'6"

* Weight (needs large truck to pull)

* Gas (needs large motor to push)

* They stopped making them in early 90's

I have also considered getting a smaller boat for smaller waters but when it comes down to it I like the comforts of the large boat. Its like a big Lazy Boy. smirk.gif

Best of luck in your searches.

Like ST and others suggested, get a second large boat.

A fiberglass will be cheaper then aluminum, and you'll be able to find good deals right now.

Remember, it's lake Superior, it's not a little body of water, you want to be safe somehow out there.

Crestliner Sabers and Lund Sport Cabins (I have one) are great boats, but a little too expensive to buy.

A good ole 22ft cuddy cabin with i/o will do a great job, and you won't have much invested into it.

Keep your small 16 for inland lakes.

Send me an email I might be able to find something.

Wade, since I own a 20 ft. Lund Alaskan, have a cabin on Crane Lake, and fish Crane, Sand Point, Namakan, Kab, and Rainey Lake quite often I'll add my comments. There are several models of the 20' Alaskan. I have the dual console model and find that it handles rough water fine, and I don't get wet. I did own a 1775 Lund ProV and I feel more comfortable in my Alaskan----and it is drier. Nelson's Resort on Crane Lake has a "fleet" of 20' Alaskans they use as guide boats, and they are happy with them. You might want to give them a call. As far as Lake Superior, I have not had my Alaskan on the lake, but have seen others use them there. All in all, I really like the boat.