• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Oil inj. ?

Rivernut

Question

Is there anything special you need to do while winterizing an oil injected outboard. Its a 40 Yamaha. 1st year winterizing it. Thanks ahead of time!

9 answers to this question

Thanks Valv, I was wondering if there was anything you needed to do w/ the oil injection system. I had heard that you just make sure it is full when storing.

I had some people emptying it, and refill with fresh oil, they say it will thicken up after long time.

Others fill it to the top to avoid condensation.

Just don't disconnect it and run the motor out of fuel... you'll fill the carbs with oil...

marine_man

Quote:

Just don't disconnect it and run the motor out of fuel... you'll fill the carbs with oil...

marine_man

I don't think so, the oil from pump doesn't go into carbs, goes to intake manifold/reeds, and even if it did, you'd get a gunky oily mess next spring, and you'll have to open carbs to clean them up.

OK! Now I do feel like a dork. Good thing I dont have to work on these things for a living, I'd starve. First oil inj. motor I've owned. Thanks guys.