• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Early Ice Action

I've never experienced the early ice action before but am looking to give it a shot this year. I am fairly new to the lakes around DL, so if anyone wouldn't mind having me join them let me know. I'm sure there are some guys here that know which lakes freeze up sooner than others, so I'm just looking for someone who knows the lakes and wouldn't mind a partner.

Let me know if anyone would be interested grin.gif

I moved here last summer, so last winter was my first winter ice fishing around DL. There are plenty of other guys on this site that I'm sure know the lakes around here better than I do, but I'm always open to having someone tag along. Let me know, it's usually just me out there anyways.

I do however have a good source of info on area lakes, that others may be jealous of.... check my user profile for a hint.

deadhead-yeah i saw you work for the dnr. i would suppose that has to help you pick the lakes with the best numbers wink.gif once the ice starts to form, we'll have to keep in touch. i work in pelican rapids till 3:30-4pm, so maybe we could hit a night bite during the week. hope the weather this week holds up, should make ice soon!

ivegottabite, let me know if you want to hit some early ice around DL. we might be fishing by next weekend...

my wife always nags me about going out alone on early ice. I suppose she has a point...

dhead-when were you thinking? i hope the weather they are predicting this weekend stays away. don't know if the ice will be safe enough yet this weekend. i did drive by a couple small lakes around pelican rapids that looked to be iced over good. i think we may be able to work something out.

drop me a line - [email protected]

I'd be REEEEAAAL careful. I fishing last saturday(boat), on a medium sized lake. The surface temp was 45 degrees. Two weeks prior, it was 49. Don't be fooled by what ice you see now.

You have to bee nuts to go out right now. I think it is getting close -- If they freeze right now, that means a solid cold spell and we are fishin' grin.gif

I wasn't planning on going out just yet. I was hoping with good weather that the lakes would be ready by Thanksgiving weekend.

I'll never be the first to go out. I wait till others have been out for a while before I venture out....

If any of you guys want to get together for some ice fishing, I'm game. Always looking for some good guys to get together and fish with. I've lived in DL full time since June of 03 and rented a lake cabin in 02. I've gotten to know the lakes pretty well and have some good early ice spots. When the time is right, we should get together.

Peter,

count me in. sounds like a good time to be had. we should have a DL FM get together sometime this winter too....

-JP

peter- i may be in touch with you the week after thanksgiving if you have time. deadhead and i are trying to get an outing planned.

this weather the last 2 days has dampened my spirits a bit though. hopefully another good cold snap is on it's way grin.gif

I think an early ice get together would be great. I haven't been out early ice for a while because of the muzzleloader season, but this year the itch is just too much. I have a few ideas, but the lake that I'm thinking usually freezes a little later than most. Keep us posted.

It would be great to plan something. Call me anytime if your planning on getting out. I work for myself so I can take off whenever. I have a few very good day bite lakes I like to hit, and a couple good night crappie lakes. We'll for sure get together. Not sure when we'll be able to get out as the weather isn't cooperating. I was fishing this time last year. I'll be gone to Selkirk for big greenback walleyes the weekend of Dec. 9th, thats the only one that won't work.

Just because I dont post much anymore doesnt mean I dont still keep up with fishingminn stuff....

My winter will be spent with my girls in a more permanent house.

Im glad to see the detroit lakes forum is still going..

Please remember no fish is worth a wet butt. Ive been there, trust me..

To those of you coming to the hitterdal area, swede grove in particular, PLEASE do not park in between the NO parking signs. Then in order to be legal parking you must be parked with ALL your tires OFF the road otherwise the sheriff will most likely be called and you will have to move your vehicle. Been there done that. Fisherdog, your doin allright keeping up on what it took me 3 years to get going , its not always an easy thing. Keep up the good work! Paul

Paul, nice to hear from you again. How are things? You'll have to join our get together if you can. We should hook up time for a day chasing some fish. I'm in the midst of building a 7x10 on wheels, hoping to have it done by Dec. 9th before I leave for Selkirk to chase the big greenbacks. Keep in touch.

Peter, what's happening?

Can't wait for Selkirk. Except the 12 hour drive!!! Lol. Is there going to be enough ice?

DL has some fantastic early ice action and if your looking for some help in targeting walleyes and crappies, Peter will get you going. I've fished with him a time or two and he certainly knows his stuff(half of which he learned from me!!!!) Seriously, DL has some of the states best winter fishing because so few fish, nearly a thousand lakes within 1 hour, and no pleaure boats or jet skii's to irratate the crap out of you!

Get out, explore and enjoy the wonders of this area. Don't be afraid to try some "different" lakes in the area as well. Exploring can be fun and often times real productive. One of Peter's and my favorite crappy lake was found by accident....the walleye on my wall was caught out of a lake I didn't know had walleyes, the largest pike I got in DL was out of a lake that litteraly was suppose to only be a rearing pond for walleyes.(40"er).

Good luck.

Helloooooo Paul - Good to see you still have a working puter. Been hoping that you would revive yourself from the dead. Action on the lakes here have been exceptional even though they are down by 2-3 ft. Cooked up 50 fillets of walleye and crappie last week for the parents and you were talked about for quite some time by myself and my father. Sure do wish I lived in the area so we could get together and you could teach me some good ICE tactics. Happy Holidays to you and ev1 who reads this. Keep on Fishen and be safe on the ice.

Hope to see ya on Lida next summer Paul and tell the family HELLO.

Hammer, what's up? I'll send an email to Ryan in Winnipeg, but I don't think ice will be a problem. Give me a holler some time, I need to pick your brain a little. Noah and I are building a 7x10 on a drop down frame. Our goal is to finish before the Winnipeg trip. I heard my first report today for ice fishing in DL, I'll be heading out on Saturday morning, there's 2 inches as of today, should be double by Saturday morning.

Peter,

any hint as to the lake you'll be hitting? I was thinking of getting out this weekend too... Has anyone else seen anyone out on the ice yet?

If your interested in joining, give me a call today. I'll be heading out about 6:30am Saturday morning.

anyone make it out? i just got back from south dakota. no fishable ice there!?!?

i hope we don't get the snow they are talking about. anyone interested in going out in the evening, sometime this week?