• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Got some company coming up this weekend and I was going to head down to the river. Busy summer has kept me away from the water so I have no clue as to what is going on. I seek muskie and the guy that I will be dragging along would like to find some walley. But like I mentioned I do not know if I should head up river or down or in the middle. I have heard some muskie are shallow but that is about it. If anyone would care to share that would be great. Thanks, Hwood.

The walleyes have been suspending in deep channel stretches and in Low Light moving up to weedbeds. Jig n minnow shallow or dypsies and sticks or boards in the deep stuff. Also dont be afraid to 3 way rig in that deep stuff. 2oz. sinker and either a stick or a 4-6' leader and big rainbow or sucker.

You may be the only boat out. All docks are pulled that I know of. Maybe Garfield still has them out. I would concentrate in the Spirit Lake area above Devils Elbow and the long deep stretch by Oliver Bridge. Also jig the pilings of the bridge. Last time out I got 2 nice 22"ers off the outside pilings on the shore sides. If you can drift that middle weedbed by the Oliver there are always a few stragglers in there.

Sorry Im no help on the Ski's.

As for the 'ski's, November has traditionally been a great month. I have not targeted muskies this year for a number of reasons, but I can help you out on what has worked in past years. Trolling 10" Jakes or soemthing similar in and along the channel edges is one of the most successful methods for taking musky. I would expect a stick that can get down deep would be a real advantage. The lower harbor would be my target water although a couple years ago I took two and lost a third one November afternoon just down from the Oliver bridge in 25'. Also, this time of year you may spot great clouds of baitfish on the sonar. That would be a good area to troll around because muskies and other predator fish often hang just under the clouds waiting for lunch to swim by.

Thanks again guys. I say again because I replyed last night but to much daddy pop must have prevented me from pushing the correct keys and getting it posted.

Was only out for about a hour late tonight with "River Ranger Randy". grin.gif 1st cast had a nice 21" eye to the boat and she popped off. Nothing after that. Oh well I think my river fishing may be over. Unless we get some NICE weather next weekend. Looks like Loopers for a while til we get some ice.

Landed a smaller pike after just a few minutes on the water and that was to be the only fish of the day. Next time.

Hwood what do you drive for a boat? Where did you put in? Maybe I saw ya out there. We were in a maroonish Ranger. Mostly by the shiznit plant.

I have a plane little 14 footer with a 15 hp Honda on it. I put in at Munger and worked up stream from there to the Oliver bringe. Not sure if I saw you or not?

Probably not we were down by the Shiznit plant and put in at Garfield.

You have a great little river boat there. I ran the same rig for many many years and caught tons of fish out of that old Northwoods. Only thing was I made sure I put in at the landing closest to where I would fish that day. Even would trailer to another landing to make sure I could get back safe in case of bad weather.

Good luck out there and maybe we will touch base out there someday.