• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Jerkey Help

JigginIsLife

I was looking at starting somthing on my own here and i was looking for some help. I have my small game license and was looking to make either rabbit or squirrel jerky (or atleast try it) Anyways anyone else make thier own jerkey and how do you do it, and or how does it turn out?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wild game Jerkey is great if you know how to make it. I always grind the meat into burger and then use a jerkey gun to put in on the dehydrator trays and dehydrate. You can buy boxes of jerkey seasoning just about anywhere. I think that you would have to shoot alot of squirrels and rabbits to make a batch of jerkey. Good luck.

well i just was thinking of starting with that becuase i didnt want to try with anything bigger yet, and at my buddies place they have tons of squirrels haha. Anyways yea I was thinking of making it from slices of meat not grinding it up, but how does that taste?? alright??

we grind our ducks geese and venison and make tons of jerky. It is as good as, if not better than store bought. When you grind it you get rid of that tough piece you can't chew through. It's a real hit at hunting camp and while fishing.

So would you reccoment grinding it and using the "jerky gun" over just cutting slices off and then drying them?? And do you all make your own, do you use seasonings, what kinds would you reccoment

Grinded jerky is a bit easier to eat. Strips are better but takes longer for marinating. If nobody has false teeth I recommend strips.

anyone know any really good recipies i could check out the procedure to marinate and cure jerky??

1 bottle liquid smoke (8 oz)

1/2 bottle of Soy Sauce (4 oz)

1 tablespoon crushed red pepper

i teaspoon ginger

5 shakes of minced onion

1/4 bottle worchesterchire sauce (3 oz)

1/4 bottle Lowreys steak sauce (like a1 kinda)

Best with strips of chuck roast or other steak cut 1/4 inch thick. Lay strips in mixture for 1 day then flip and let sit for another day.

This is homemade and the best recipe out of at least ten I have tried.

I accept no fault for tainted or tender tongues and cheeks after consuming this product!

As far as ingredients, one word: Molasses

I make it out of sliced up trim meat, venison roasts, steak, etc. all the time. I've also made it from sliced ducks & geese & that was good.

I would grind it. I use to make it out of strips, but since I started gringing it I will never go back. You can get the seasonings at Fleet or Gander. They have all kinds it just depends in your taste.

Walleyeguy31 - About how much meet will this marinade?

I'v always just cut strips ,marinaded them in store bought seasoning for two or three days and then hang them in the oven and cook them at 190deg. for about and hour. Any hotter and they will burn. Also, never trust your stove, get a thermometer to hang in there.

I have always like this, but I enjoy experimenting with new recipies once and awhile.