• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HUGE buck taken in Duluth?

B. Amish

i seen a picture of this monster buck that was said to have been shot during the city archery hunt in Duluth.

The guy posing in the picture is an old timer and the deer looked to have 11 points

anyone hear of this monster?

Not so much did I hear of the story, but I thought I saw a picture......looked a lot like the one in your aviatar, hummm?!?!? grin.gif

Yes, I heard alright... He is one of my hunting buddies. He rough scored it at 180. A very nice deer. The Duluth hunt has been awesome so far. Personally have seen close to 60 deer, over half of which have been bucks. Unfortunately I havent managed to harvest the big guy yet myself though. Passed on a couple nice 8's so far, and lost a nice 140 - 150 class 10 earlier in the year. I will ask and see if he minds if I post his pic on here for you all to see.

Here are the pics of the Deer from Duluth... 254 lbs, preliminary conservative measurement of 180+

hha.jpg

hhb.jpg

wow he looks like he is part DEER PART WOLF man look at that face .... shocked.gif be very ver afraid je je je

I second the GOOD GREIF!! WOW!!!! That man needs to submit that picture to the Art Barbarians Deer photo contest!! Incredible!! blush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

Geez...I thought my 10 point was pretty beefy this year. After looking at this beast, it now looks like a button buck!

HOLY BUCK FEVER BATMAN!!!!! I'd be shaking so bad my bow would probably fall apart...Good grief is right!

HOLY HANA,

And I thought my buck was big. Was that 254lbs dress? That's one old buck.

Congrats to your buddy

It really is a darn nice deer. In fact it's so nice it confused Lawdog and he sent the same post twice.

I was under the impression that the native buffalo was extinct in Minnesota. wink.gif

Beyond big, that is one absolutely gorgeous rack. I love dark, thick symmetrical racks. I think that is not only one of the biggest, but the prettiest deer I have seen in a long, long time.

WOW WOW WOW, i would have been alot happier than the guy in the picture that is for sure!!!! he should be smiling more!!!

Wow, what an animal. How does a person keep himself together waiting for a shot on that guy. Theres some monsters running around in town thats for sure.

Quote:

In fact it's so nice it confused Lawdog and he sent the same post twice.

I must have gotten buck fever from the picture and clicked the submit thing twice or something, I really don't know how that happened confused.gif

Some some times, people sta-sta-stutter when they get excited! ha ha

Yeah there are plenty of big bucks running around Duluth! Monday morning I had a face off with a nice big 10+ at the end of the driveway. He was in hot persuit of the the doe that ran across seconds prior. There I sat with my two dogs at leash and one of the bigger bucks I've ever seen (alive) and I can't lace it!

To add a bit more to the story....

Yes, it was 254 lbs field dressed. He saw this deer three times. The first time was early in the season, it literally got within 10 yards of him, but he couldn't shoot it because he didnt have his doe yet. Then the second time it never offered a shot. The third time was the charm. Arrow broke in half inside the deer, somehow the broadhead passed all the way through, but the other half of the arrow didnt... He shot it during the beginning of the rain last friday night... was worried he wouldnt find it, so he started to look right away after shooting it. While looking, he walked up on another buck nearly the same size as this one. Didnt find it that evening, but found it in the a.m. with the help of some friends...

Don't worry Lawdog, buck fever affects us all. In fact my knees are still shaken just from lookin at the pics. grin.gif

Quote:

The first time was early in the season, it literally got within 10 yards of him, but he couldn't shoot it because he didnt have his doe yet.

HUH? confused.gif I wouldve shot it if it was 10 yds, whether if he had his doe or not..

Not so sure that admitting something like that on a forum is such a bright idea.

The Duluth city ordinance that allowed the hunt to happen requires a doe be shot first before a buck... And since we want this hunt to happen again in the future, everyone is being very careful to follow the rules to the best of their ability. I Agree its difficult to pass on such a nice animal, but the rules are the rules, and we just have to live with them. The whole intent of this hunt it to manage the herd to a reasonable level. Personally, I am just glad that they didnt say that we had to hunt does exclusively, or that we had to harvest 2 or 3 does before we could shoot a buck...

I understand what you are saying that its tough to pass on such a nice deer, but personally I had to pass on 3 different deer that were at least 150+ class before I had shot my doe. At least for me, just seeing numbers of deer this size has been a real experience even if I havent tagged one yet.

[Didnt find it that evening, but found it in the a.m. with the help of some friends and their dog.]

Is it legal in Minnesota to track downed deer with a dog? Just wondering.

I read that part and thought I wouldnt mention it. I dont think its legal to have a dog help track a deer. confused.gif