• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

"Upper" St. Croix?

Daze Off

Not sure if this is really "upper" but the area I am asking about is above the dam at St. Croix Falls - has anyone been out in this area for smallies, walleyes, or crappies? I've been there once and have been told it is a good late fall place....any comments or feedback on the recent fishing?

Thanks,

Daze Off

Daze,

Haven't been out there this fall but past years it's been acceptable fishing. I haven't found it as productive as the Mississippi River but it's certainly peaceful with likely very few other boats around.

A buddy and I are considering heading there this weekend. We'll see what happens. Good luck if you make it out there.

Southerner

I used to wade fish further up the river and could really drill the smallies in the summer and fall. It was best after the first good freeze when they started working their way down to the dam. I have heard from people in the area that jig and minnow in the deep water above the dam this time of year holds quite a few smallies mixed w/ walleyes. Good luck. Let us know how it went.

has anyone ever fished up by rush city. i used to do some partridge hunting up there and got out of the truck at the dirt landing in time to catch a guy coming off the river. i thought he was duck hunting and asked him how he did. he had six walleyes that all appeard to be 5lbs or bigger. the water up there is so shallow but there must be some deeper pools around that area.

SFBOY...

You didnt bother to ask the guy why he would keep a cash of big fish like that.If there are fish like that up there they wont last long .Good for him bad for the future

I'd like to have a word or two with a guy who would take even one 5# fish out of the river on a stringer. You can catch eaters by the dozen on just about any day you like on the Croix. mad.gif

I have no problem giving guys I fish with a hard time about keeping fish, but it gets a little touchy with people you don't know. Guy looked like he fell out of the movie "Deliverance" and since we were on a river, I thought it best not to say anything. Plus I was 23 or something and older guys usually dont take to kindly to young guys telling them what is right and wrong. I think that people are just different in how they view fishing. Just like deer hunting, there are meat fisherman and trophy fisherman. We let a 40 plus inch northern go on Owasso awhile back and I thought the two old timers next to us were going to poop their pants. They were giving us a hard time about letting fish go. Well, it went back so they would have a chance to land what is truly a trophy sized pike for the metro area.

Had the boat hooked up on Saturday night ready to go and wimped out on Sunday morning. I should have listened to your weather report rather than mine. I ended up spending the day building some storage cabinets in the garage. It would have been pretty miserable I think. Judging by the lack of posts it seeme like not too many others braved the wind and rain either. I am back on for this weekend for either the Croix or Pool 4. It will have to really "Bring it" in order to keep me off 2 weeks in a row this time of year.

I know what you mean Sfboy.The older fisherman still have an eat what you catch mentality.Thats the way alot of them were brought up.I guided an older guy about three years ago and he caught a 27.5 inch eye I tried to convince him to release it but he wanted to eat it.After that I let guys know those are either for the wall or back they go.We have a pretty good resource here at our doorstep and I think the majority of the fisherman understand the importance of selective harvest.Troller maybe Ill see you on the river .Im heading out either saturday or sunday.

It sounds like Sunday will be the better weather day. Are you going to fish the Croix? If I go to the Croix, I will probably put in at Hudson and start in Prescott and fish back to Hudson. I am down to 3-4 spots this time of year so it will be a pretty simple day. I am leaning a bit towards Red Wing becuase I guess the Fatties are coming in pretty well right now. I wouldn't mind a shot at a big Sippi Momma! I need a good picture for my office wall! Let me know where you are going to fish and I will look for you.

TrollerX, I am going to be a domestic god this weekend as my wife is headed out on Fri-sunday for her annual girls weekend. I will be looking to get out of the house Sunday evening after she returns. If time is short I will head to Chisago in the narrows as I have friend who lets me shore fish from there and the walleye bite under lighted bobbers is pretty fun. If I can find a bit more afternoon time I may just run up to the Taylors falls area and see if I can stick it to a walter or two and maybe even find the slab crappies. I'm hoping to get out on land or by water what ever time permits! Thanksgiving weekend I will be over on the Flambeau hunting and fishing for some larger pike/walleyes and maybe a cat or two. Nice thing is that you can"t hunt after dark but the fish still bite! Whats the 1st week of Dec look like for you? Might have to try the Sip or make a last soft water dash to Mille Lacs! Full moon again around the 15th! BIG water=BIG FISH! Nothing like the old marble eyes glowing in the pale moonlight!

Tunrevir~