• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

4 stroke auger

Scoot

Question

20 answers to this question

NO....but strikemaster has an 8" 4-stroke....the auger blades are interchangable so you could put a 9" auger on the 4-stroke, the 4-stroke comes with a 8" synthetic auger though.

I know I should lookup their website, but still.... why do we have 4 stroke augers now ?

I don't see the difference besides more weight.

Actually, according to Strike Master, their 4-stroke is their lightest (at least for 8-inchers). Probably has to do with the fact that it has a synthetic auger, though.

...Plus you don't have to mix the gas and oil together. They are also a cleaner burning engine(emissions).

I would not try a 2 stroke auger on the 4 stroke, they turn way different rpms. It has to have specially designed for that motor.

Quote:

.... why do we have 4 stroke augers now ?

The main reason is the EPA,Current Tecumseh 2-stroke Engines augers will no longer be manufactured after 2006 or 7 I forget the exact date.

pier,

does this mean we're gonna have 4 stroke lawn mowers, grass trimmers, ect???? the minute amount of emissions from all our 2 stroke ice augers doesn't seem to warrant not continuing to be able to make 2 strokes. hope this isn't true. the end of the world has to be near if we are gonna have to have all 4 stroke engines by '07. imo.

later,

goose

Quote:

pier,

does this mean we're gonna have 4 stroke lawn mowers, grass trimmers, ect???? the minute amount of emissions from all our 2 stroke ice augers doesn't seem to warrant not continuing to be able to make 2 strokes. hope this isn't true. the end of the world has to be near if we are gonna have to have all 4 stroke engines by '07. imo.

later,

goose

Tecumseh is and has already change things to make them cleaner.....and yes it sounds like they will meet the requirments for a while longer so the 4-stroke is a safety measure.

Actually lawn mowers are already (and have been forever) 4 strokes.

My old one used so much oil it could have been confused for a 2 stroke... grin.gif

Anyway I think this is typical mfg propaganda to increase sales.

Like with outboards they have been saying no more 2 strokes since the late '90s. They still make them and better than before.

I'd like to see a study of the EPA regarding pollution from 2 stroke ice augers and their rules about no more in 2006 (which is in 2 months). I can guarantee you if Strikemaster of Jiffy don't sell many 4 strokes, they will still make 2 strokes for many years.....

Quote:

Actually lawn mowers are already (and have been forever) 4 strokes.

My old one used so much oil it could have been confused for a 2 stroke...
grin.gif

Anyway I think this is typical mfg propaganda to increase sales.

Like with outboards they have been saying no more 2 strokes since the late '90s. They still make them and better than before.

I'd like to see a study of the EPA regarding pollution from 2 stroke ice augers and their rules about no more in 2006 (which is in 2 months). I can guarantee you if Strikemaster of Jiffy don't sell many 4 strokes, they will still make 2 strokes for many years.....

Yepper....

That is what Tecumseh is doing also and they have made their 2-strokes cleaner and will milk it out for quit a while otherwise like you said their going out of business.

Propaganda....definitely.....treehuggers also. grin.gif

Our government operates the biggest fleet of polluting gas hogs in the country with all their limos and other large vehicles. Leave it to the EPA to pick on a 2 cycle ice auger. Maybe they should clean their own back yard up first. I think it is just another band wagon to get on for job security. Just my two cents.

Anybody buy one of these 4 stroke units yet? I was checking one out last nite at Gander Mtn, felt good, light too. I would say the unit weighed about 2 or 3 pounds less than our Jiffy with a 10" auger on it.

I'd like to here some reports on these before I lay down the $$$ for one and also, if they will accept a 10" auger as well.

Mike

I hate to say it but they have been having some problems with the durability. I know the manager of a Gander Mt. and he said that they have already taken 2 units back in.

Great concept with the 4 stroke, just trying too hard to lighten them up.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

That is good to know, hopefully we will get some more reports as we get further into ice season.

4 Strokes have come along way, look how it has changed the outboard market, Motorcycles and now it's been knocking on the door of the snowmobile industry, that is the future.

Mike

I'll agree that a 4-stroke auger is a great concept, especially if they run as smooth and quiet as everything else 4-stroke. Ice fishing just got a lot more peaceful smile.gif.

Corey Bechtold

Quote:

Ice fishing just got a lot more peaceful
smile.gif

I'm not so sure about that. My dad is going to keep using his 25 year old 3hp Jiffy popping machine!!

Wahhhhh...pop,pop,pop.....wahhhhhhh.....pop,pop,pop...

wink.gif

I saw the prototype 4-stroke run earlier this year up at the Strikemaster plant. It is very quiet and has the classic 4-stroke purr. Very nice unit that weighs less than my Lazer Mag-8. I am curious to see how the composite blade will hold out. I drill a lot of holes and my LM-8 has not failed me yet.

Hanson, you dirty dog grin.gif

I can just see you fishing with your dad...

hanson says "Dad, can you pass me another minnow?"...."Dad"...Dad!!!!"

Dad replies "huh" grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Value your hearing, put the Juffy down. grin.gif

Good fishin,

Corey Bechtold

I'm not so sure about that. My dad is going to keep using his 25 year old 3hp Jiffy popping machine!!

Wahhhhh...pop,pop,pop.....wahhhhhhh.....pop,pop,pop...

wink.gif

Thats right you young wipper snappers were gonna continue to pop pop pop with our indestructible model 30's, we don't need that light weight pastic crap you pansies use... grin.gif