• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tanning deer hides

hobbydog

Ever want to learn how to tan your own hide. I have a tutorial on my web site that gives the basics if you are interested. I find it an enjoyable hobby that can be done during the winter months. There is some good chemistry lessons in there for the kids as well. You can always freeze your hide and do it at a more convenient time but it helps if you get it fleshed before you freeze it. The hair off tanning can get a bit messy and would recommend doing it with the hair on the first time or two. Also follow the instructions on whatever tan you use to the T....it will produce the best results.

http://www.hobbydog.net/hunting/tanning.htm

I always wanted to do this and I think I'm going to give it a try this year, DO any hides tan easier than others Bucks-does-fawns???

Quote:

I always wanted to do this and I think I'm going to give it a try this year, DO any hides tan easier than others Bucks-does-fawns???

They are about the same. One thing that is interesting on the hair off hides is that on the buck you get to see some nice battle scars. You can tell the fresh ones from this years rut to the older ones from previous years. The smaller ones can be a bit easier because they are more uniform in thickness and can produce a better result and are a bit easier to flesh. But if you follow the instructions very carefully they will turn out fine.

You know what you are doing so I am going to ask you a few questions, Is it mandatory to flesh them out right away? Because I have a few hides that have been laying out for a few days now. Could I soak them to loosen them up a bit, would it make them easier to flesh? Where can I pick up some tanning solutions? Thanks for any more tips you can give me.

Quote:

You know what you are doing so I am going to ask you a few questions, Is it mandatory to flesh them out right away? Because I have a few hides that have been laying out for a few days now. Could I soak them to loosen them up a bit, would it make them easier to flesh? Where can I pick up some tanning solutions? Thanks for any more tips you can give me.

Salt the hides down and and hang them or arrange them so that the moisure will drain out. Salt will dry them and also help set the hair. If bacteria starts growing it can cause hair slippage...not a problem if you are doing hair off tanning. Also, if you are going to have one mounted it is a good idea to get it to the taxidermist immediately or get some salt on it. Fleshing the hide is probably the most difficult part of the whole process....unless you have a good fleshing tool. Also you can just freeze them as is and do them at a more convenient time.

You can get tanning kits at vandykestaxidermy (Contact US Regarding This Word) or just do a google search. I use Luftan as it gives a nice soft pliable tan. I have also used EZ Tan which also produces a nice soft tan. I also think that Cabelas carries the kits as well (they own vandykes) but stay away from the one step paste tans...they will preserve the hide but do not leave a very pliable piece of leather.

Quote:

Do you have any interest in tanning other people's deer hides for some lose change?

simple answer.....nope. Just not set up to do more than a couple every fall.....and then it wouldn't be a hobby any more. It would be more than happy to talk you through it though.

Thanks hobbydog I'll give it a whirl this year and let you know the results.

I send all mine to Uber Gove Co in Owatonna. Been doing it for years. I had a jacket made once and have enough again to get something made.

Hobbydog......what can you recommend as the very best fleshing tool for a head mount hide? That fleshing knife you use seems like it would be to big for that. I have tried before but just cant seem to get it thin enough.

Suzuki, does Uber need a minimum number of hides or will they take one. What are their requirements before the take a hide (I'm talking head mount hide)?

Quote:

Hobbydog......what can you recommend as the very best fleshing tool for a head mount hide? That fleshing knife you use seems like it would be to big for that. I have tried before but just cant seem to get it thin enough.

To get it thin you really need a commercial fleshing machine and they start at about $500. For doing a shoulder mount you can get it thin with a scissors and using what is called a skife knife to get it thin around the face. I have done 1 or 2 shoulder mounts a year for the last 7 years and I get ok results. Certainly not professional quality but the price is right. You can do a shoulder mount for about $50-$60 in parts and then there is the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

No minimum hide numbers. I've sent in many singles. Not sure about your second quesion. Head mount hide?

They have 3 basic colors. Natural, creme and dark brown. I have had everything dark brown. It looks almost black. The jacket I had made a few years ago was nice. Nobody believes it custom or deer hide. I gave it to a GOOD friend since it didn't quite fit in the shoulders. I need to get another one made. Thinking of a gun case as well.

[note from admin- no unauthorized links please]

• 11 months later...

If you plan on doing a head mount there is alot more to do than just flesh the hide.You need to turn the lips,eyes,ears and ear butts and do the nose.This can be some delicate work.I use a scalpel to do the whole face area.You also need to be carefull not to cut through the face skin.