• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

To switch or not to switch?

Ralph Wiggum

Question

I've got a 2004 Honda Accord with the 3.0L V-6. I've got about 38000 miles on it. Until now, I've been running conventional oil. I've got two questions:

1) Would I be safe switching to a synthetic? (I've gathered from previous posts that you can run into problems switching)

2) Would it be beneficial, or should I just keep running conventional?

Thanks a bunch, guys!

6 answers to this question

There are a couple reasons to CONSIDER switching, although I know of a number of vehicles that have gone >200K on plain old dino oil.

I think it would be safe. Especially if you have had good oil change history.

1. Better flowability in cold weather. The faster oil gets to moving parts, the less wear there is. Seems I read somewhere that like 80% of engine wear occurs on startup.

2. Extended oil drains. Here you risk battle with warranty, but they have to prove what you did (or didn't do) caused a problem to legally deny warranty.

I'll try to find the link of a test where the conclusion (by doing oil sampling) was that with Mobil 1 and changing filter every 5k and topping off the oil, analysis showed time to change the oil came at 18K miles - FWIW. I think the bottom line was that you could do about 15K-18K (or once per year) between changes with filter every 5K (and no, this was not an Amsoil site or sponsor, although Amsoil was compared as well and fared about the same).

I've run synthetics since new in a 1994 Chev pickup at up to 25K drain intervals and it still runs like a top. I hardly drive the truck much anymore so my oil and filter changes are once per year. 195K and running fine, no blue smoke on startup, no rattling/clanking,ticking, etc, just runs and runs. BTW, synthetic in transmission, axles, and xfer case too.

Ditto: I've run Mobil 1 in crankcase, and Red-line MTL in tranny -- in my Summer car ('88 Saab SPG) for the last 100,000 miles. No smoke, better MPG, and shifts like butter.

Another thing to note: the synthetic winter easy cranking of starter is much easier on your battery.

Ralph-

Right or wrong, I made the switch to Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30 in my '99 GMC Sierra about 3 years ago. I was running regular Mobil 5W-30 previously.

I have 130,000 miles or so now on my Sierra and it is still running great.

My oil change intervals are somewhere between 3,000-5,000 miles. Maybe I'm changing more frequently than I should but I was trained in the "old school" and am having a hard time adjusting to letting the miles rack up a little.

I would say you are good to go. Just make the change. But that is just from my personal experience.

I also run synthetic in my ice auger and snowmobiles as well. The sleds actually run much better on synthetic as well as the auger.

I have to agree with the synthetics being used in all oils in your vehicles. I switched my 2004 Silverado over to it after 10,000 miles and did see a little increase in gas mileage. I also run Synthetic in the transmission. I used to be against it until it was proven in a dirt track car I was crew chief on a few years ago. We were burning up 3-4 Powerglides a year until the switch was made to synthetics. We then got 3 years( 65 nights) out of the tranny and when we took it apart to rebuild, everything looked good as new. That sold me on the advantages of the synthetics .

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jparrucci
      Very low, probably 2 feet lower than last year at ice out.
    • mbeyer
      what do they look like this spring?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I might have missed a guess, but here are the ones that I noted:   JerkinLips – March 27th, then April 7th Brianf. – March 28th Bobberwatcher – April…. MikeG3Boat – April 10th SkunkedAgain – early April, then April 21st   Definitely a tough year for guesses, as it seemed to be a no-brainer early ice out. Then it got cold and snowed again.
    • mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.