• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

LORD I HURT II

96trigger

Shot a nice buck this weekend with the bow on Saturday morning. I heard his antlers hitting brush when he walked through the woods, he stepped out into the field, broad side, only 15 yards from me. I shot and heard a good smack. He spun immediately and then ran around the corner into a hay field back the way he came. I figured he was a dead buck, man was I excited. Went back 2 hours later, no blood, no deer, no nothing. Spent all day Saturday scouring the area, looking for a blood trail, even a drop of blood would have given me hope, Weird thing was that I didn't even hear him enter the woods, I figured for sure he'd be in the field or along the edge just in the woods. I'm hanging up the bow until after shotgun season, I went out on Sunday and Monday and saw very few deer. Very depressing, didn't even feel much like hunting the rest of the weekend. I almost feel guilty for trying to shoot another buck.

Any luck finding your arrow? You know how that can tell a good story. I had my chance at a buck friday morning missed judged the distance and right over his back went the arrow. He was only 25 yards away. What a bumber. Sorry to here about your luck. Just stay with it and it will happen. At least that is what i keep telling myself.

While in ND I had 4 dandy bucks within 25 yards this past weekend. Screwed up 2 shots. Sunday a.m. I flipped the boat while rowing across the river. I can't wait to get back out. Don't let it bug you. I've been at it 37 years and the good stuff always outwieghs the bad stuff! I think God just needed a chuckle this past weekend so He was messin with me. grin.gif

relax. it happens! you do feel bad about the hit, and not recover the deer. shake it off and get back to hunting.

Thats why a lot of guys don't like us bow hunters. Because its really easy for that arrow to hit a twig and make you good shot into a bad shot. Also you put that deer though a lot more pain to when it dies. Yes it really sucks when you hit a deer and not find it. But we have so many deer in Minnesota is really not a big deal here in minnesota well I guess it is. Sorry to hear about your loss. good luck next time.

be safe later

Not so sure I agree with your statement kc. I would be willing to bet that bow hunters loose less deer than gun hunters. More because a bow hunter needs to know thier shot. It has to be in close quarters. I dont want this to be a gun hunter vs bow hunter thread.

I understand what everyone of you are saying, and thanks. The shot was close, it was a good hit, but the arrow never went through. The real problem was the wet ground, and that I never saw or heard where it reentered the woods. Without that, it was like looking for a needle in a haystack. After I shot, I felt extremely confident about the hit and I really thought that he would be lying in the field or just on the edge in the woods. I doe hunt, so really the only time I ever see bug bucks is during the bow season. This is the first nice buck that I've ever raised any sights to. Surprisingly, there was no buck fever, just the routine of draw, aim, release. It was, and still is, a mojor bummer to think about it. I went out again on Monday just to see if maybe there would be a smell, some buzzards, or even crows circling the area but there was nothing. The area that I assume he ran to is very dense and has lots of deadfalls and steep hill sides, with no blood, he could have curled up in a deadfall and I could walk by him all day and never know it. I guess I just needed to vent and realize that it happens, this is the first one that I couldn't find, it just adds to the it that it would have been my first nice buck.

Totally agree, I have seen some gun hunters take shots that would only result in a wounded deer, and take five of them to boot. It's the nature of the sport, gun or bow. I have lost deer to both the gun and the bow and it sucks when it happens, but do your best and do your share to know your limitations.

I am not trying to make this a gun vs. bow here. I am sorry for my reply. I think a gun is better to use if you place the shot good just like with bow if you place a good shot you will find it. Because that slug or bullet will be more damage to the deer than just a arrow. I love bow hunting. I am pro bow hunting. I am just saying I think it easyer for that arrow to deflect than it is a bullet. I am sure us bow hunters will have a arrow hit a twig and deflect the shot is wound the deer. This is just my 2 cents. I am 17 years old and very new to bow hunting. This is my 1st full year out bow hunting. I hope I didn't offend anybody. Again I am sorry for my post.

later goodluck and be safe. confused.gif

No offence taken kc... We here at FM can respectfully disagree. That is what makes this such a great board!

I wish you the best of luck through the end of your first year of bow hunting!.. Keep us posted on how you do!