• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Propeller selection

J Smith

Question

I own a current Lund Baron-225 Honda combo...does anyone know the perfect stainless propeller set-up?

Thanks

8 answers to this question

You're going to need to provide some more information... RPM at Wide Open Throttle... what pitch you're currently running and how you think it performs.

A lot of people have had good luck with Jay Soderbloom http://www.soderbloom.com for prop work...

Otherwise, provide some of the information requested above...

marine_man

I highly recomend contacting Jay. He will set you up with the right propellor, ship it to you within a day and his prices are as good or better than anyone around. cool.gif

I agree 100%. Jay gets all my prop bussiness and he can let ya know what will work out the best. Great prices and great turn around time. Now with the new powder coating he does the paint will stay on a long long time. www.soderbloom.com

Thanks for the replies. To be a little more specific...I had a 19" pitch Merc Laser 3 blade stainless that was recomended by the dealer. When I trimmed the motor 1/2 the way up there was no cavitation @ 5300 r's I was doing 54-57 mph. When I went for full trim the motor reached 6000 r's and started to cavitate reaching the max rpm. range yet no increase in mph. I went to the same prop in a 21 pitch. My speed went down to around 49 to 52 mph and I still cavitated at around 2/3 trim and still reached the 6000 rpm mark. Maybe the Lund Baron isnt designed to be able to be ran at full motor trim. Or perhaps I need a 4 blade prop that will bite better at full trim. I know that this 225 honda has the snort necessary to reach the rev. limiter with a 21" pitch Laser! VERY INTERESTING I'm still head scratching!

It sounds like you're pretty close to where you want to be already. A 19' Lund vee bottom moving at 57 mph is probably right at it's maximum hull capability, considering the hull is designed to displace quite a bit of water to maintain it's smooth ride characteristics. Trimming the motor will increase speed to a point, simply by raising the bow and reducing wetted area, but as you have observed, overtrimming just produces a big rooster tail and causes the prop to slip more. The 19" prop that you have is probably about right from the motor rpm's you mentioned, maybe even a little big on pitch. What is the motor's recommended rpm range? you want to be running in the upper third of that number just before you lose bite when you trim the motor up. Switching to a 4 blade prop may get you better hole shot and possibly a little increase in load capacity, but they typically need to be reduced slightly in pitch to keep the motor in the prime rpm range.

To make a hull go significantly faster you will need to reduce the weight/reduce wetted area/balance weight distribution/ or greatly increase horsepower.

I would try either a Mercury Tempest or Rev 4, on a heavy boat they seem to work better than a Laser.

J Smith, Contact Jay Soderbloom!!! He took care of my boat AND pontoon problems in 1 shot. As far as I'm concerned his word is bible. I am SOOO satisfied with the performance I've gotten on both props, I wouldn't hesitate a moment to call him, explain what I want, and order from him. He knows his stuff!!!BTW, His service is THE BEST!! Phred52