• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer Opener 'Eyes

Because the deer weren't exactly cooperating, I ended up fishing the Frontier area of the Rainy River on Sunday afternoon. Needless to say, I'm sure glad I wasn't in a deer stand! What an unbelievable day on the water. I ended up putting between 80 - 90 fish in the boat in 5 hours of fishing, with 19 of those fish being between 21.5 - 26.5". I was hoping for a 30" sow but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Oh well, I'm certainly not complaining! I had great action anchored in a seam of the current over an 18' hole adjacent to a large sand/gravel flat that topped out at 12'. A 1 oz. gold jig and shiner was the ticket with a very slow lift and drop presentation. The bite was constant all day. The "big girls" bit aggressively between 12:30 - 2:30 which sure made for an even nicer afternoon, besides the weather! I also kept a nice limit of 4 'eyes and 2 saugers for the pan.

The time is now the river. If you can get up there, I would highly recommend it!

3 anglers caught 16 of their 18 fish limit on the windy Rainy today. This will probably be the beginning of the end with the foul weather we are suppose to get. Snow in the forecast and with a N to NW wind, it will chill the water temperature fast. This will slow fishing, although there may be some die hard fisherman that will give it a shot in a few days. Fishing is good until water temps hit 35 degrees, then people, gear and parts start to freeze up.