• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have still not winterized my boat yet. Is it going to be a problem?

TSCTSC

Question

I am in SE Minnesota. I have still not winterized my boat yet although temperatures are expected to be close to 30 deg soon. As it is, night temperatures are now below freezing. I also just took the boat out on the lake on Sunday and hope to take it out as long as I can tolerate it. Am I setting myself up for trouble by continuing to run the boat in such cold weather? How long do you think I can practically delay winterizing? Prior to winterizing, are there any advice or procedures that I should perform to prevent "cold weather" damage? Thanks!

4 answers to this question

I'm interested to answers as well as this describes me pretty well. I have put the stuff in the gas tanks and ran them a bit with it however. As far as my understanding goes, as long as you squirt the oil in the lower unit, you should be fine (of course I still haven't done that. but my motor is a 2004 motor so i'm doubting there would be water accumulation in the lower unit).

If you have an outboard you don't have to worry about cold weather, just be sure to tilt it down when out of water so it drains completely.

There is people fishing the Mississippi all winter long and never winterize.

Be sure your lower unit oil is not milky colored, which would mean water intrusion and it will crack the case when very cold.

Even a newer motor can have such a problem, a bad seal tore by fishing line on propshaft can let water inside gearcse then crack with cold. Just check your oil, if it's regular color, you're doing good smile.gif