• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Size of RL slabs?

tommyk

Never been up there but am planning on going March. Don't get me wrong here guys, in no way am I knocking 14" crappies, but it seems that all the pictures I see and all the reports from buddies seem to consist of everything topping off at around 14". Was just curious on how often larger ones are caught? What are the chances of lets say a 16" or larger slab?

TommyK

From my personal experience and info I've gathered from guides and other anglers who frequent URL, a 14 inch crappie is on the larger end of the spectrum for a winter crappie in URL recently. While there are several fish over 14 inches and some into the 15 inch range, it's been a while since I've heard of a 16 incher. I've heard of 15-15.5 inchers in recent years, many during the spring and open water period too. Most are in that 12-14 inch range, but they are pretty thick fish.

So I guess to answer your question, I'd say your chances of catching a 16 inch crappie during the winter on URL is rather slim. A 15 inch is more common, but still not what I'd call an average catch throughout the entire winter season. 12-14 inches is what you can expect to see most often...

On one trip last year a group of three of us caught some in the 15 inch range probably 10 or so for the weekend

Thanks for the info guys. I caught a 16 1/4" last winter down in Iowa and it is really a shame how much that raised my standard for crappies. I still appreciate the 12+"ers but it is just not the same now! frown.gif

TommyK

Tommy: I feel for ya. But you are sort of right on. I cought a 16.5" (ha, gotcha by .25"!) outta Merritt Res. in the Sand Hills of Nebraska...it didn't even look like a Crappie!

Anyway, I have the sure cure for what ails you. Fish the Metro lakes some this winter. The 14"ers outta Red will look like monsters! grin.gif

The first time to Red last year, it was slow and we kept anything 12in. and over. The last time we rented two of Kelly P.s houses about 200 yards apart. My brother-in-law and I were in one and kept a bucket full of 14 in. clones. Two of my sons and three of their friends had an eight hour run of fish and ended up throwing back several 15 in. fish. They looked like they had been dragged behind a plow truck and slapped around by a chubby bar maid. Its hard to throw back 13 and 14 inch fish in hopes of catching a few 15's, but there are some there. And they are some of the thickest Crappies I've ever seen.

You are right on about finding a good cure here in the cities! Nothing like coming home after catching the biggest crappie of your life and then going out to a metro lake ( I don't want to mention the hot lake but it starts with a Bald and ends with an Eagle)and catching the smallest crappie of your life (try 4") That will make your minnows start to look big!

TommyK

Quote:

...( I don't want to mention the hot lake but it starts with a Bald and ends with an Eagle)and catching the smallest crappie of your life (try 4")...

LOL grin.gif Yes, Bald Eagle certainly has some small ones in it. However, 2 out of my 5 biggest Metro crappies came from Bald Eagle, there are a few slabs left in there... Early ice is the ONLY time I'll ever hit Bald Eagle (I'm talking like 2-3 inches of ice), after that the big fish put on the cruise control over the mid-lake flats and the fishing pressure becomes insane. Turns into one big party lake wink.gif ...

I agree with Matt.

I have caught 12-13 inch crappies on other lakes,

but they dont have the shoulders that the Red lake crappies have.

The average red lake crappie is thick.

Thats a picture of a 16.0" caught last season on URL. I went up with two other guys for a weekend. It was really cold out, so we didn't move around alot. We caught four 14 inchers and two 16s. We did manage to get consistent accidental walleye action, so the trip was a blast.(In case anyone is doubting the true size of the crappie, my fist knuckle to knuckle is 3.85") smile.gif

Hey Carp Fisher, I have a flannel shirt just like that and a Clam fish house just like that and I catch Crappies just like that one. In fact, if you had a beard, were better built and were much better looking, we could be twins. grin.gifgrin.gif

Awww, the sight of that crappie just makes me more more anxious to be back up on URL! Took our first trip there last winter and we are hooked for life! Got our trip booked again for the first part of March and it can't come soon enough. Hey, we may be the only family to say we put a truck through the 3+ feet of ice on URL...it was one of my son's hotwheels which zoomed right off the bunk of the sleeper and down the hole it went!I love reading the posts!Keep 'em comin'!