• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Finally forcasting below freezing temps for next week. Any bets on first fishable ice? Mine goes for November 27th.

better be by the 20,21 & 22nd of Dec. have reservations on low and red lake also. I'm ready ordered the new LX-5 this year still waiting for it also.

Is there going to be a Duluth forum "get-to-gether" like last year for first ice? Where are we going? DEC 4th is my guess.

Yes we will have a 1st Ice Gathering on Fish Lake again this winter. Most likely out of High Banks since Tim was such a gracious host last year. It will be more informal without prizes etc.

Well maybe a few to those who stick it out. grin.gif

I will post the exacts once we get a idea on when we will have safe ice etc.

I'll be along for that for sure, I will just have to make sure I don't get myself sick again.

Oh Yeah you can count on the Nut Brown again this year. Makes for nice slushies I hear. smirk.gif

i'm guessing we will be on the ice by nov 25th. last year i was making the ice sag on balsam lake on thanksgiving, don't think it will be quite that early but we can hope.

Cheffrey, I just noticed how close you are to 1000 posts, do us all a favor and don't waste it on one of your weak burns towards northlander. grin.gifblush.gif

my wife said she's not going unless she get's a atv ride again from Nothlander... That way she can hang on to his "love Handles".... waist grin.gif.... Strat (Dec 7th)

Apparently that won't be neccesary Quick others seem to do just fine. Its not that my burns are weak its just they get edited some how.

Just a note that last year we had the fish lake get together on December 18th, just a little over a month away.

we had been out for weeks by that time, snowmobiles everywhere and that (Contact US Regarding This Word) that drug his permy out with a TRUCK on 8 in of ice at the most!!!

WOW, nobody cuts that NL any slack. I took the week off work for deer hunting, but we were don at 9:30 this morning, 3 deer down. I shot a nice 8, and a doe, my buddy shot a spike, more venison than we need, but going to try the new sausage house down here. Dam, it's tough in a shotgun zone. The right place, the right time, and a lotta luck. Now I have all week off, and am going to have to come up and catch loopers. Steve, got any off your hot, fresh tied bags ?

Viking it seems like Crawlers are working better lately.

Im going to try some spawn sacks tomorrow and see if they work at all. One thing for sure I will have a Crawler on the other rod.

Good job on the deer by the way.

As far as those guys not cutting me any slack its because they have "Looper Envy"! Well at least Cheffrey. Quick got his. grin.gif

crawlers have defenetely been the ticket as of late, although i got a coho on spawn this evening and cheffrey lost a nice looper on spawn yesterday.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• monstermoose78
      Boy this wind is something. I was going to go deer hunting for the early doe season but the wind is a little strong. 
    • SkunkedAgain
      My electronics often say that I am on land when I'm on the water. Trust is a two-way street!
    • leech~~
      Their not really that hard to get.  Just use an F150! 🤭
    • smurfy
      i gave the fish a break, never wet a line. done till ice is on the lakes.   and not sure about them grouse...they sure as heck werent were i went!!!!!!!!1🙄
    • Kettle
      Caught him on a number 7 1/2, ounce and an 1/8 lure...
    • PSU
      if you have a jig and a minnow, lots of fish on all depths. Trust your electronics
    • chaffmj
      What did you catch that furry one on, a special flying lure?
    • gimruis
      Fishing is still pretty good.  Went with a friend and the dog yesterday for about 5 hours, managed 19 largemouth and 10 pike.  I normally don't take photos of pike but several of these fish were on the larger side and quite thick so they made the cut.  One of these days my fishing season is going to be over but for now the fish are still cooperating.    
    • mbeyer
      On our fall trip, we saw many examples of downed trees on Pine Island. Small trees being cut with chain saw and piled. Any insight on project?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the South End...  Fall fishing on Lake of the Woods is excellent right now.  The colder water temps have the fish snapping.     Walleyes and saugers are being caught in a variety of locations across the south shore from 20 to 27 feet.  Water temps are in the low to mid 50's. Jigging with frozen, or live emerald shiners is catching a pile of fish.  Anchor up and jig over the side of the boat.  Typically, lots of small fish to sort through but you will get your keepers along with some larger walleyes. Jig colors to consider are gold, glow white, glow red, chartreuse, orange, and pink.  Gold combined with any one of these colors is often a good choice.   On the Rainy River... The river continues to get better and better with more walleyes moving in each week.  Good fish being caught in many sections of the river.  The morning and evening hours have had the best bite. Walleyes are actually being caught using three methods.  Jigging with frozen or live emerald shiners, pulling spinners and trolling crankbaits.  15 - 25 feet of water has been the norm. Sturgeon fishing continues to pick up as the water cools.  The "Catch and Release" sturgeon season is in place right now.  The river holds a myriad of species of fish.  Crappies, pike, smallmouth bass, suckers, bullheads and even an eelpout or two are being caught up and down the river.   Four Mile Bay is also holding some nice walleyes as they make their way in from the lake.  Various areas on the edge of the current and channel break are good spots to begin. Up at the NW Angle... Another great week of fall fishing up at the Angle.  Walleyes are keying in on various areas with structure.  Points, neck down areas with some current and transition areas from rock to mud are good right now. Walleyes are the most sought after but in the fall, lots of muskie and crappie anglers are around as well.  Good reports on a variety of species including jumbo perch and pike as the waters cool.      Put on some warm fall clothes, make sure your camera is ready and make some incredible fall fishing memories.  There is still time to get in that last fall trip.    

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.