• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Banded birds, where were they banded?

fisherking01

We received the information today on the duck my son shot on 10-9-05. It was banded near Linesville, PA on 8-20-04 and was hatched in 2003 or earlier. Shot near Brandon, MN. I would have never guessed it to be this old or from so far away. Where are your bands from?

I got a Jack Miner band from Canada, Mallard was banded in 2003 but wasn't hatched there so I don't know how old he was!

I shot a mallard last year near Wyoming, MN banded that summer in Mitchell, SD (I think it was Mitchell).

I shot a canada goose 4 years ago----banded in missouri, too young to fly when banded, and was 11 yrs old when I shot it. Two other banded canada geese I've shot were both banded in Iowa and were only 2 yrs old.

2 mallards shot in ND---were banded in northern MN.

jeff

A goose I shot 2 years ago was banded in Bemidji in 2001.

A drake mallard I shot last year was banded in 2000 I believe in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.

2 banded birds I shot this year still have their info on the way, Getting Excited!!

The banded mallard I shot a couple of years ago was banded just north of Thunderbay, and was shot just south of Superior WI. It was banded that same spring to young to fly. Short life.

I shot a cackling goose in western alaska with a band and a neck band. The bird was banded about 20 miles away from where I shot it, but 13 years before.

Amazing how they do manage to come back to the same places year after year

A guy in my deer hunting party shot a canada goose this year that was banded in 1997 in Loisainna and was 16 pounds. what a bird

I just read an article where a guy in Arkansas shot a drake mallard, I belive, last year or this year. Anyway, the duck was banded at the Sand Lake NWR in South Dakota and the duck was banded 21 yrs ago!! They don't know the age of the duck but assume it to be hatched relatively close to banding date. That is unreal...can you imagine the decoy spreads he's made it through, the amount of shot's he's dodged in those years??!!

The only skepticism I have was that someone could possibly have "reused" an old band indadvertently or intentionally when it was banded but you would think it would've already been logged in as being claimed. In any case, that is an amazing amount of life for a duck. As I understand it, ducks have an avg life span of 5 yrs...according to a friend that bands birds quite often at the Jack Miner bird sanctuary in Ontario.

A few years ago I shot a honker at Talcot that had been banded in Cottonwood County (again at Talcot I assume) 11 years earlier. I don't know if this darn goose ever went anywhere else, but I couldn't believe it lived in that war zone for 11 years.

I've got the following:

Drake Wood Duck - shot north of Brainerd on a private slough. Banded in Kentucky a few years prior.

Goldeneye- Banded in Bemidji on the very same lake I shot it. It was a yearling duck, never left the marsh.

Drake Mallard- Shot at Correll, MN and he was banded in New York State in cooperation with the Canada wildlife service. Banded about 3 years prior.