• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

bow mount trolling motor

Bigbartguy

I bought a used Sylvan 16' ProFisherman this year and would like to add a bow-mount trolling motor. There is a motor mounted one that is completely insufficient.

anyone know what the minimum thrust for a boat this size? I want to be as thrifty as I can. Any idea on proper shaft length (boat's in storage right now)

thanks!

If you go to minnkota's website they have a fitting guide for trolling motors. It will list the minimum through maximum thrust recomended for your boat. I did this with our boat and I chose the perfect one.

You will be far better off buying the largest trolling motor you can afford rather then just a min one to get you around. If you need to wait to step up then you should. Otherwise you will be cursing when you just don't have enough thrust to move your boat where you want when the wind comes up and waves start moving you around.

I recommend to anyone asking for advise on size of trolling to go at least one size larger than what is recommended.

bigbart,

what the last 2 guys said. if possible, go with a step more that suggested. i had the recommended one and wasn't happy with performance in wind, current. went up a step and am glad i did. i've got a 16 1/2' smoker and a 74# 24 volt minnkota. hope this helps. i've been there.

goose

Go about 74#. I have a 17' Explorer with a 55# and wish I had more power at times. Never hurts to have too much power. Go with the most you can afford and fit on your boat. Some guys only have room for 1 battery but your boat should have plenty of room for 2 and a onboard charger.

Go with the biggest & best you can.Outside of using the big motor to get from one spot to the next,the trolling motor is always down and on.