• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer Opener

LuciandTim

Do you think it is a bad idea to go pheasant hunting this weekend? My deer plans have washed so I want to get my dog out and hopefully bag a few roosters....I was planning on going to maybe Yellow Med, Lincoln, and Lyon Cty area.

It's not a bad idea. Just be careful as there will be a LOT more people out there. You may have to hit the deck as slugs are a flying over your head, though.

For a stretch of 7 or 8 years I quit hunting the rifle season for deer and only muzzleloaded. It was our annual weekend to really hit those western counties hard for roosters. We usually had most of the public area to ourselves and only occassionally ran into deer hunters. Most seem to be road hunters out west. We did stay away from public areas with trees or alot of willow brush as those were the ones the deer hunters were actually hunting. A couple times we chased up bedded deer in the cattails and grass and they ran to neighboring properties only to get whacked. Just wear a fair amount of orange, get a good wide blaze orange collar for the dog, keep her under control and avoid hunting by anyone that is stationary... you shouldn't have any problems.

Good Luck!

Ken

Tim I would give it a go. The last 2 years I have done quite well in that area on deer opener. I just got a map and drove to pub hunting spots if I saw a vehicle I just moved onto the next one. Adam

I went and had a blast....Might make this an annual thing. Had most spots to myself and saw tons of birds!! I even got permission to hunt some private land that was loaded with birds grin.gif

I deer hunted in that area this weekend. Took time out once or twice to sample the bird hunting. Lots of fun to say the least. Weather was to nice for Deer Hunting though. Had to kick them out of the thick stuff. Not much movement on their own.