• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What gauge do you use when goose hunting?

Just wondering what you use when you goose hunt. a 10 or a 12 gauge. Ive been looking at getting a 12 gauge browning bps in a 3 1/2". I hunt geese alot more then i do ducks tho and have been thinking about getting a 10 gauge instead.

Wondering your opinions on both. or what you use and how far of shots you have been taking.

Thanks

I do just fine with 3" shells...don't see the need for anything bigger. My 2 3/4" tungsten iron knocks 'em dead at 65 yards as well so I don't know why anyone would go bigger.

SA/wdw

If i hunted mainly geese out of fields i would use a 10, reason being, the knock down on those geese. These Northern birds coming down need a little more umph if they are decoying well, but i do with my 12 gauge 3 1/2 but thats as low as i would go. But the good thing about a 12 gauge is that bullets are easier to find and they are a little more versitile.

I've been using a 12 ga forever.

I just try and practice what my grandpa used to tell me."Shoot em in the lips."

I haven't shot my ten gauge for probably 3-4 years. It just sits in the gun cabinet collecting dust. Its more gun than you need for anything but pass shooting greaters. If you are hunting over decoys a 12 gauge is more than adequate.

A 10'er will definitely give you a little more wallup... But with all the high-powered designer shells and choke tubes, I think a 3.5 12 load is pretty close. I hunt a lot of geese, and got rid of my 10 a few years ago. What the 12 might lack in power, the ability to swing more quickly on birds makes up for it. My 2 cents.

I don't target geese so I only use a 12. But when I get lucky enough to get a flock or a single goose into my 4 crazy.gif decoys the old 12 guage does the job.

I mainly hunt geese(snow's and canadian's) so i only carry a 10. When hunting upland/ducks, i switch to Mr. Cheap-o 870 Express 12 which does wonders. I started hunting geese when i was 14, using a 20 gauge. That thing has shot many many geese between all the kids in the family.

I agree with users above...if you multi-species hunt, the 12 is the universal gun, if you are a sole goose hunter, the 10 will make sure you don't have to chase those little SOB's down much!

thanks guys, i think i will get the 12. only thing i dont like is that you cant get the wood stock in a browning 12 gauge 3 1/2" it only comes in synthetic and i dont quite get that. but oh well i still like the brownings shooting left handed and all.

• 2 weeks later...

hey wyldewal, do you ever hunt the st louis river for ducks and geese? How is it? I see tons of geese by the railroad tracks in south superior and by barkers island

The newer Remington 870 Express Super Mag 3 1/2 packs a pretty good punch! and the best part, its not so hard on your pocket book!

12ga. Remington 1100 2 3/4" or a Ruger Red Label 3". I primarily use the Remington. I've used it since getting out of the military in 68' and its taken many a goose, duck, turkey etc: etc:

Got the Red Label at a tremendous price otherwise I still wouldn't have a 3". See no reason to buy a 10ga or a gun that shoots 3 1/2 shells.

Know where you shotgun shoots with different loads and practice, practice, practice that's all you need.