• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report your Archery kill -2005

Captain: Glad to see you're on the board! Spent all day Saturday making sausage. Smoked 25lbs!!! Needless to say, I had a pretty good dinner that night.

ERW

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Captain B.R.K

• Mark Christianson

• bigbucks

• Studer

Captain: Glad to see you're on the board! Spent all day Saturday making sausage. Smoked 25lbs!!! Needless to say, I had a pretty good dinner that night.

ERW

I got on the board with my first ever archery kill last Thursday, not exactly what i wanted, but will work and was a rush none-the-less. I called in a coyote with an estrus bleet can from just out of range to twenty yards. She jumped after a mouse in the weeds, so she was broadside, put in a great shot, right in the boilerroom. She ran 30 yards into the brush and was lights out. Took a while to find her for lack of a blood trail, but the snow we had on the ground helped with tracks. She weighed probably around 60 pounds. Ill maybe get some pictures up when i develop them.

Great reports everyone and glad to see some success stories as well as pictures!! NINE pages worth....right on! cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I had a good year as I took 2 bucks with scores of 123-5/8 and 162-2/8 green score.One with a bow and one with a rifle.Both bucks were 10 pointers.Both deer were harvested in North Dakota.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been hunting a lot since rifle season ended. Was back Up to the Blackduck area and I managed to fill another management tag a week ago. Was out to ND this last weekend and saw more deer in one day then most people probably see in a whole season. Saw several nice bucks but I only has a doe tag left to fill which I did. Made some drives for my brother who still has a buck tag (no party hunting in ND) left and had as many as fifty deer come by him in one drive alone (not exaggerating either). If you ever get a chance to hunt ND do it you will be amazed at how many deer are out there.He never got a shot at a big buck but had several close enough but either they were running or stopped behind brush. Still was a blast seeing all those deer.

There isn't much state land where we hunt. In ND if the land isn't posted you can legally hunt without permission. The areas we hunt are mostly river bottoms that are owned by mainly farmers. Some are posted and we have gotten permission and other spots are not posted but we still try to let the owner know that we would like to hunt on their land. That way we know if someone else is hunting it or not. There are also many WMA in ND that offer some real good hunting opportunities. Just ask anybody that duck hunts out there and they will tell you how many deer they see. The area we hunt is west of Grand Forks. You really need to get at least 40 to 50 miles from Grand Forks or any other major city or you will run into a lot of other hunters. Where we hunt the only other archery hunters we have seen are just locals and very few of them. Mostly we have the area to our selves which is a very large area. Sorry I can't give our exact location but I may get a few people ticked off if I tell others where we hunt. You can understand? My best advise is to look on a map for any significant river and just start following the river the best you can. You will no doubt find deer and most of the time very friendly people who will usually let you hunt. The great part about ND is that the season starts Sept 1st and usually ends around Jan 6th. The bad part is the cost. Around $216.00 for an either sex tag and $55.00 for additional doe tags. But who looks at the cost when the deer are so plentiful and the chance at a decent buck are so great. Good luck if you ever head out there. By the way if you want to hunt out there this year yet you can still buy a tag. The first year I went out there I didn't go until about this same time. The first weekend out I tagged a really nice buck. Real easy to find the deer now as the crops are down and there isn't too many places for them to hide. The trails you see this time of year will make your jaw drop.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally gave in and took a doe. Shot her on Christmas Eve morning. I almost always find a biggun or two to chase late in the year, but never got a peak at the big one I wanted to take. I could have shot at least a dozen decent eight pointers this year, but held out for a monster. The 8 pointer I passed up on my first night out looks pretty good right now. Oh well, I have a great season and had lots of fun trying. I'll take the big boy next year.

Scoot, I agree, I cant tell you how many 8 pointers I passed up this year waiting for the big guy... Including one that almost walked right into me on a trail. smile.gif

Had a big guy come in monday night but he stopped at about 50 yards out and never came any closer. Two days left, and I am still hoping to get a shot at a decent buck (or any buck at this point smile.gif)

Went out to Watetown Suth Dakota christmas eve mornig and got my first ever deer. What a rush and too even get it with a bow was a thrill. We were having a drive and he stopped right in front of me, gave him a little grunt and flipped the release. Ran about 20 yards and went down. Hooked for life.

Got my third late season deer with bow last Friday. Will be going out tonight to sit in this rain/sleet junk. Two more tags to go, got til Tues.

Went out for the last time on New Years eve to see if I could fill the last management tag. Took my 12 year old son with to sit in the tree with me. Well as luck would have it we had 6 deer come by just before dark. The first four came by so fast that I couldn't stop them but the fifth and biggest doe stopped in my 20 yard lane and gave me the shot I wanted. I placed the shot directly through the center of the heart. Needless to say my son and I were excited as this was the first time he has sat with me bow hunting. Now he itching to get out next year and give bow hunting a try. This was also his first year rifle hunting and he managed to shoot a nice spike buck the first morning while I sat with him. Those two hunts were the best hunts of my life. Even better than the hunts where I have shot many big bucks. Take a kid hunting and you will experience some of the best times afield you can imagine. Already looking forward to next year when I can get out with my son again. This time though he will have bow in hand.

Congrats treeclimber, I got one late on New Year's Eve last year, turned out to be a big fawn instead of a yearling doe, but it was still an awesome way to end the season. Didn't make it out on New Year's Eve this year to work on a string, just didn't feel very well that day.

Congrats treeclimber. Any late season deer is tough.

My dad bought two "buddy" stands so next year we are hoping to take my son out (he's 5 now). I'm not sure how long he'll be able to sit still but he keeps asking me and my dad if he can go out with us.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

figured there should be at least one bear on here, not the biggest in the woods, or the biggest i saw that night but first one i got a shot at, first one with the bow [image]http://C:\Documents and Settings\compaq\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\RWL0AU3W\188685648144[1].jpg[/image]

Mink- you need to have the picture hosted online first... like photobucket or one of those sites.. check out this link... it tells you how to do it.

How to post pictures.

• 1 month later...

Got this one the last week of October. He was bedded with a doe, so I tried to put a sneak on him. Got to within 20 yards and the doe spotted me and took off. He just sort of stood up and looked around. Well he stood for too long as I put an arrow through his heart. He proceeded to run directly at me after the shot and tipped over a mear 10 feet from me,had him scored at 157. Quite exciting to say the least. Dad, 3 day's later arrowed this 140 incher at 10 paces. SB

DavieBuck05002.jpg

DadsBowBuck05002.jpg