• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report your Archery kill -2005

Took off last Wed. and Thurs. for bow hunting. Went to some public land Wed. for the hole day and saw 2 deer, 1 in my truck to the spot and 1 in my truck on the way home. Thursday I decided to stay home, I had to drop my daughter off at school in the morning so I decided to go on the back side of my property. I have a little over an acre of woods along corn field. It was about 7:00 A.M. when I saw a deer cross from the corn field towards the woods.I could hear him but couldn't see him. Ten minutes went by when I got my first look and new it was a buck.It ended up turning and walked within 20 yrds.I pull back , had in my sight and released. Watched the arrow disappear, perfect shot. It took a couple quick steps then walked mybe 25yrds and fell over. What a rush, put gun hunting to shame. Ran up to the house told the wife and kids I was so pumped. The daughter wanted to trail it even though I new where it was we still did.It was a descent 8 pt. about 170 to 180 lb. buck. This was my first year bow hunting, and have put a lot of time in (at least 2 to 3 times a week). I had a lot of deer within shooting range early this year before duck opener but was a little to warm to leave a deer hang to long without cleaning it, but if a big buck would have come through I would have made time to clean. Bow hunter for life.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Captain B.R.K

• Mark Christianson

• bigbucks

• Studer

Well, here is 10 point that I reported on 10/15. My son is helping with the holding job. The picture does the deer no justice, but it is cool to look at. BTW the deer weighed in at 210lbs. 039_39.jpg

Looks like a dandy to me Extreme, nice job.

Called in a nice doe on Thursday night, after not getting my portable up until 4:45, saw the doe about 5:00, shot her about 5 minutes later after using "the Great Big Can", to bring her in. It was fairly windy & she & the buck were up wind. The buck came 2-3 minutes behind her. I saw him before I shot her. I had another arrow nocked when he came & shot him too, actually a half a dozen yards closer than her, but some tiny little twig of brush that I couldn't see deflected the arrow & I wound up with a rear leg wound. Hoping a gun hunter got him, we trailed him over a 1/4 mile the next day, no bed & not much blood. He will survive I'm sure, as long as he doesn't get lead poisoning... It's still very upsetting when you make a bad hit.

I got this buck last thursday night. This is my first attempt to attach a photo, so if this doesn't work, I might need some help. [image]http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mcvince/detail?.dir=1bfc&.dnm=b199.jpg&.src=ph[/image]

I'll try again.

[image]http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/41b718e0z2da57e65/1bfc/__sr_/b199.jpg?phIk2cDBetd3Z_[/image]

Thanks for helping me out with the picture. I got this deer thursday evening near Scandia, where I live. I took the day off so I could hunt the whole day and my plan was to hunt a spot in Wisconsin in the morning and then one of my Minnesota spots in the evening. My friend and I didn't see much in the morning, so we headed back to my house about noon for some lunch. As we pulled into my driveway, a doe ran across my yard and all of a sudden my friend says "look!" and there's a real nice 8 pointer standing behind my woodpile, about 25 yards away. It had a real high rack and a very big neck. It stayed there long enough for my friend to get his video camera out and film it following two does away through the woods. I have a stand out in the back of our property and at that time I decided to hunt out back in hopes of maybe getting a shot at that nice 8 pointer(that I had never seen before). I got into my stand a little before 3:00 and at 3:30 a spike and a small 7 pointer came by. At a little before 5:00 I heard a noise and thought it was the 7 pointer coming back and it was another buck yet, even bigger than the nice 8 I saw in my yard. He stopped at about 25 yards and I made probably the best shot of my life, up to the feathers, right behind the shoulder. After a two hour wait(just in case), my friends Travis and Rick, and Rick's 7 year old son and 10 year old daughter went trailing. The buck only went 30 yards and we found him easily. He has a 17&1/2 inch spread and we weighed him at 197 pounds. Two days later(bowhunting on the gun opener) Rick shot a 9 point buck that weighed 201 pounds and had a 20 and a quarter inch spread! He and I are still riding pretty high, that's for sure.

OOOOHHH MYYYYYY GAWWWD... that is a monster...took my breath away! Congrats to that hunter!

IF I saw that walking through the woods, I'm pretty sure that I'd have to change my pants when I left. shocked.gif

That is the biggest bodied deer I have ever seen.

Hey 96trigger

Just imagine that the state record deer as far as weight goes is twice as big as that one! shocked.gif

My first buck! What a rush! I got him on 11/5 down in SE MN. He came into my area follwing a doe and stopped broadside at 20 yards. He weighed in at 215lbs field dressed and had a 18" spread. Sorry about the red on the nose it took quite a hit when it fell down. Also great pitures and stories from everyone else. Good to hear others are doing well!

ShowLetter3.jpg

That thing looks like a moose!! What a huge deer. Those chocolate brown antlers are beautiful. Great work.

Some hosting sites only allow it to be accessed so many times. That one obviously is now expired.

He'll need to use a different host site if he wants it back here. Crud.

I took a 10 point, 18.25 spread 132 class Fri. afternoon. sorry no pic. had a great season in NE Iowa saw lots of deer. Neat that he will make the book. Time to trap coon now!!

I haven't had much luck this year shot my first deer with my bow back in Sept. but no luck since. My friend called tonight to tell me his uncle shot a 13pt buck with drop times on each side. His dad said they couldn't fit there hands around the bases. They are guessing it's going to score upwards in the 180's even possible 190's. i haven't seeen the pics. He was about to shoot a ten when a car honked its horn and he looked up and the BIG buck was running right down the fenceline right to him, shot it at 20 yards. Deer ran within 5 yards went for another arrow so nervous dropped it on the ground. When i get the pics i'll post them. Glad someone has some luck.

I forgot to add that the deer was shot on public land in northern iowa about 35 miles south of Albert lea.

This is the first buck I shot this year. It was the last week in October in ND. Was hunting a large river bottom where I had seen several nice bucks. I had moved my stand on this day closer to where I had seen several bucks the day before. I would only have one chance at this spot as the wind was not in my favor and any deer I would pass on would end up down wind of me and the game would be over. Lucky for me the first three deer were bucks. The first was a fork the second a lesser 8 pointer and the third was the shooter. The first two bucks stopped below my stand to do a little pushing and shoving while the third watched from a distance. After about ten minutes he was tired of watching and decided to come over to show them who was boss. Little did he know he would be meeting me first. At 7 yards I hit him in the boiler room and he was down in under 30 yards. Wasn't the biggest one from the group I had seen the day before but if I had waited they would have been down wind of me and the spot would have been no good for days. So I decided to take him. More stories to follow.

Pictures%2FND%20Deer%2020050002.jpg

Here is the second buck of the year. Back to SD. I had a business trip close to where we hunt and had a chance to hunt for one afternoon. I was in another river bottom spot where I have seen many bucks in the past. This was the Tuesday after their opening of rifle season. I know this spot is always good after opener as the bucks get so pushed around out there that they always travel this area to get back to their home territories. I have hunted this spot every year for the past four years the following days after rifle opener and have seen many large bucks. After getting on stand around 3:00 and sitting for about an hour and a half I heard a noise from the other side of the river. Looking across I saw this buck going in the opposite direction down the river. I immediately pulled out my grunt call and let out a few grunts. The buck didn't even lift his head so I then pulled out my Primos (The Can) doe bleat and that did the trick. The buck stopped looked my way and then disappeared behind some brush along the river. Not 15 seconds later I heard water splashing downstream from me and saw the buck come up the bank and head in my direction. The buck stopped 40 yards short of me and made a scrape and then proceeded to close the distance to 10 yards where I stopped him with a grunt and sent the arrow right in the sweet spot. He took one jump stopped, looked back, then just stood there until he fell for good. Short hunt but what a blast. Still not the monster I have been looking for but not a bad buck. More to come.

Pictures%2FND%232of3.jpg

Her is number three. Was bow hunting up in the Blackduck area with my Dad and Uncle who were rifle hunting. This nice 10 pointer was taken at 18 yards as the buck was sneaking through a small spruce swamp. He had just finished making a scrape and was heading for a large hardwood ridge where several does that had just went by my stand had headed. Needless to say he never made it. Still not the monster I am looking for but definitely getting bigger. Our group still has a few tags left so there is still a chance for the big one. I also shot 2 does to fill some management tags. So I guess I can say I have had a very successful season.

Pictures%2F2005%20rifle.jpg

Quote:

A big deer from the Duluth Hunt taken by a friend of mine, 254 lbs, Rough scored at 180

hhb.jpg

Hey Fishermn would you be able to email me that picture? My email address is my nickname "msm1018" at yahoo (you know the rest) tongue.gif thanks.

I will repost the Duluth deer so it shows up in my posts, and email it off to you later this afternoon.