• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report your Archery kill -2005

Nice one jbjr...congratulations! Good looking deer.

I'm moving a stand this weekend...hopefully I have similar results.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Captain B.R.K

• Mark Christianson

• bigbucks

• Studer

Went out this morning didn't see much of anything , had farmer mess up the hunt by spreading poop in the field i was hunting along. I still think there is to much corn in. I hear there might be some snow flakes on sunday morning and it's suppose to be 25 degrees, sounds like great hunting weather. Got all weekend off hopefully something will be moving.

Had a chance at a coyote last night, first time ever, he was trotting, I think I hit him, need to get back tonight and find the arrow and do the blood trail thing...

I got a coyote a couple weeks ago, first time for me too. Usually those thing have such a sixth sense I never even get a chance to draw back before they spook! Good job, God knows there's plenty of em around.

This is a buck that my mom shot on monday afternoon... [image]http://tmp29.jpg[/image]

I wish I had the time to get out and bow hunt, but theres too many migrating birds to chace right now, I guess I'll get my chance in november and december when the birds are gone.

Great pics everyone

POWERSTROKE, nice to hear you finally got one since 2001 was it in any of the spots i recommended. It would just make me feel good je je take care everyone

Well, I am on the board.. not a great deer, but I am really happy with it. Placed a very good shot that resulted in NO BLOOD... I was on my hands and knees.. coplete pass through, and maybe 40 drops...DROPS of blood in about 70 yards. Only thing I can figure is that fat coverd the hole on the inside.

here is the pict...

ca1849fc9c.jpg

Hey Dietz,

That is a great deer to be proud of! That is the same thing I shot for my first deer with the bow! What a rush. I would be very happy with that this year. I have only been out once and do not know when I will get back out because of helping with field work.

Froggy

All right good work and good job tracking that sucker. Meat in the freezer, and a smile on the face. Congrats.

Great stories and nice job to those that have been posting your "success" stories! Congrats on a job well done!!

Well i finaly got my buck i was looking for. I shot a 14 point non-tipical last night. The rack is decent but the deer was rather small only weighed about 150. I was hunting by an apple tree and this weekend the deer just went nuts on them. I had a great shot the buck didn't go more than 100 yards. Not the biggest deer i have harvested but it made my bow season. The pre rut is here many of the deer i have seen this weekend have been very vocal and responsive to grunt calls as well as rattlin.

Finally after more years than I want to admit, I got my first deer with a bow Friday night. It was a nice yearling doe. Before I shot the doe there was a little four pointer grazing in front of me in the alfala field. About a half an hour later I hear steps behind me and two does pop out of the woods to my north, the little four pointer is quite a ways south but he grunts and comes trotting back. All three deer are now moving directly in front of me in the alfalfa field. The little buck is directly in front of me but he isn't the big one, so I pass on him and wait until the doe comes into a shooting lane. I hit her a little farther back than I wanted but I heard the arrow hit something solid so I figured it was a rib shot. I hunt some pretty big bluff country and didn't want her to run to the bottom of the bluff, so I just sat for a half hour and then snuck to my truck and left, I found her in less than ten minutes and less than a hundred yards from my stand, right at the top of the bluff. I was pretty pumped, now I'm ready for the big boy to come in. The pre rut is definately underway and the bucks should start acting stupid.

Smacked doe #3 Tuesday night at 12 yards, double lunger. I saw her run up into a cornfield, then rear up on her hind legs & tip over. She was standing in the corner of a field road that I watched her walk down right to me. We built the stand almost exactly a year ago & no one had ever hunted it. Kept waiting for that strong NW wind & finally got it.

I passed on another small 8 pointer Saturday morning, hunting in a totally different area. I should have passed on the doe with him, but in poor judgement, made a bad shot & wasn't able to recover her. We waited about 3 hours knowing the hit was bad & then looked for 3+ hours, losing & refinding the trail several times before it disappeared & there was nowhere else for us to look, very frustrating. If you take a bad shot you'll usually pay for it.

ASMOLEY , 96Trigger, and BigBucks.....congratulations & a job well done!

I drew a camp ripley tag this year, first time applying. Well I drove to camp sat AM and found out the hunt was on Thursday and Friday! Dumb move on my part, I just assumed it was a weekend. OH well I know better next time.

Went home and did yard work then decided to hunt near home.

I jumped a doe and 2 fawns on the way in to the stand.

Got settled in and about a half hour after the doe and kids come back out of the swamp I am on the edge of.

I was going to shoot her, but she would not give me a good shot. The fawn I had a shot at was a buck, and I did not want to shoot him(he will grow horns some day) About 1/2 hr later a year old spike came out and really wanted me to shoot him. Not gonna do that either.

I rattled very hard for about 1 minute.

about 20 minutes later I hear a splash down the hill in the swamp. There stands a PIG!!!! He is about 50 yds out and looks like the Hartford Bull!

He rubs a tamarac to shreds, and picks his head up and has swamp grass, mud and water all over his rack.

He come up the hill to 25 yds and makes not one, not two but three big scrapes! He got up on his hind legs on two scrapes and really worked the licking branches over. In between scrapping he destroyed 3 good sized trees! Every time he would go to work, I would grunt. I knew he was hearing it because his hair would puff up when I grunted.

After about 15 minutes (with me about to fall out of the tree) I snort wheezed at him,that really made him mad!

He turned and came to 12 yds! As he walke behind a cluster of three oaks I drew on him. He stepped out and stopped! His front leg went forward and I pulled the trigger.

The arrow went right where I wanted.

He jumped about 5 feet straight up and bounded out to 20 yards. He just stood there looking around. I pulled up my binos and could see the blood pouring out the exit hole like it was from a faucet! He got wobbly and tipped over!

Never moved again.

I got down and walked over to him. I had thought he was a really nice 8 pt, but when I pulled his head up he had triple brow tines and a total of 12 points. His main beems almost touch in front of his brow tines.

He was way bigger than I thought.

After 3 hours and a lot of work from friends we got him loaded up.

He weighed 240 lbs and I rough scored him at 141" !!!!

If some oone can show me how I will post a photo!

Swampbuck- congrats on a great kill and thanks for sharing your story. I have a tag for Ripley and I'll make sure I'm there Sat. A.M for a Sat. A.M start tongue.gif I hope I see something of that size there!

Though there are bucks that size in Ripley, you definately stumbled across a nice buck in your neck of the woods!

Nice buck and good story swampbuck!! Thats what archery hunting is all about!!! If you would have been gun hunting, you'd have shot him at 50 yards and never seen all the other action!

Nice Buck!! Great story, I agree with BlackJack, we get to see so much more action bow hunting because we have to wait until the deer get into range. It's a lot of fun. Went out last night and used doe Pee and called a little, no reponse from anything, four does in the field didn't even acknowledge the grunting or the scent.

Nice job swampbuck, that's a dandy. I hope I see something like that, the biggest deer I've seen this year are basket rack 8 pointers. I've passed 3 easy shots on them alone.

Bagged this one, weekend after opener. Right antler droops. Saw this feller many times over the summer. Missed my chance on opener with him, when he came out silently. Caught me unawares, didn't have my bow in hand. He was staring me down, so I couldn't make a move. Got another chance a week later, this time I had my bow in hand. But once again he came out of the woods silently about 15 yards from my stand, all of a sudden I look to my side, bam, there he was. He was staring right at me, so I made like a statue. Took about 1-2 minutes before he looked away long enough for me to draw.

buck_2005.jpg

Got this one 2 weekends ago. Biggest doe, I've ever bagged. My shot was a little low and forward, the carbon arrow broke when it stuck her opposite leg.

I'm somewhat of a newbie to the bow hunting. Biggest thing I learned this year: Deer seem to be much more sensitive to movement than smell. My advice to other newbies, don't move until they look away.

doe_2005.jpg

So far this year, I have been out 5 times, shot 4 times, lost 2 arrows and put 2 on the ground.

I shot one doe 3 weeks ago (same one I shot at a couple of days prior and missed). She ran about 50 yards and fell.

Last night, I saw some deer in some pine tree row and decided to try to stalk them - never was any good at it. I saw a couple of deer in one row, so I walked down the other and switched sides when they moved to my row. I stalked one doe to 10 feet - and still missed (maybe it was the flip flops I had on - didn't expect to be hunting that soon - just checking out sign for a later trip). To add insult to injury, I lost the arrow! After that, I got to my stand and shot one that ran about 30 yards - only to loose that arrow. If I hadn't seen the hole in it and see the deer fall, it would have taken me a while to find it because there was NO BLOOD. Clean heart shot, but the blood started about 5 feet from where it fell.

I am going to have to schedule some time to go look for my arrows - at over 15 bucks each, it could get expensive.

I bowhunt SE MN in the hills and bluffs and this last weekend I had some good luck. I switched my spot about 40 yds from the morning hunt as the wind had shifted and I wanted to stay downwind of the 2 trails coming across the steep hill I hunt. I didn't see him until about 6 bells and at the pace he was moving I knew it may not happen as the clock was ticking and he was still 50 yds away and in the thick forest floor. Then all of a sudden, he comes right at me at a slow but steady pace... 30 yds I draw back, 20 yds and no shot opportunity, 10 yds and he is still facing directly at me with no shot opportunity, 6 yds and he stops and quarters a bit and stares down the back pack I had left on the ground. Thump! Clean shot. He ran 50 yards down the hill to the edge of the woods and would not enter the field. There he dropped. A nice 10 pt (17 1/2" inside spread) with some mass. Didn't weigh him but I'm guessing 190+ lbs.

I would post a pick but I don't know how and I didn't have a camera or a cameraman until I got him home so my only pics are of him hanging in the garage so I don't know if the administrators will allow it. I can email pics if someone is interested... It took me 18 years to bow a buck this big so I don't mind showing off!

Monday Oct 17 my friend gave me a call and we decided to go bowhunting only because he'd be heading to ND on Wed. Even though it was hot and windy we headed out. I wasn't expecting a lot and was just hoping a doe would come within range.

At 5:30 a 3 point buck walks right by at 10 yards. Great, I see one but it's a small buck so I can't even use a doe tag.

At about 6:30 I start hearing something but it won't step into the open. After a little while, I figured that there are 2 deer over there but I still haven't seen one. After another 15 minutes I grab my grunt tub and was about to let out a doe grunt when I finally hear a deer coming out. I don't grunt since I don't want to draw attention to myself. A decent 2.5 year old 8 pointer steps out.

After watching him for a bit I realize that there should be another deer in there yet. Then I notice a nice rack moving through the pines. My first thought is that he's a shooter but I want to make sure. The buck turns and looks my way, he's an 8-pointer and he's well outside the ears.

The smaller 8 point is now about 10 yards away and is close to getting downwind of me. The big 8 is slightly quartering at me but almost broadside so I decide to shoot. I see the 23 yard shot hit the deer in the boiler room and it bolts. All I can do is look at the spread as it runs away. I hear the deer go down so I'm quite sure I got him. I decide to back out and give the deer some time.

After telling my buddy we leave and come back about an hour later. A quick blood trail finds my buck at under 50 yards. The 8-pointer dressed out at 204lbs. and has a 20.5 inch INSIDE spread.

I have a few digital images if I could send them to someone to post on the site.